Radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh jeez that DOES suck. I don't suppose you could take it back and exchange it could you? It has to be defective.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
It was a rockauto purchase. My guess is I would get a refund if this thing doesn't seal up. I've received other refunds from them. Hopefullly it's sealed.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I purchased was the AutoZone "direct replacement" Duralast B2423 radiator. While I'm not sure if it counts as OEM, it did indeed match all the dimensions and have all the fittings in exactly the same places as the rad that was in my Yuke. A few disclaimers:

1) my upper radiator hose had a manufacture date of 10/2000, my Yukon being a 2001 model year I assume it is the factory hose. Not only is that terrifying/amazing, it leads me to believe the rad in the truck was also the factory unit; therefore the AutoZone unit was a direct fit.

2) while the replacement unit came with new spring clips for the oil cooler lines and a new drain valve it did not include the bottom "pins" that were on the old one or a drain hose. Not complaining. Didn't take long to transfer those.

Here's a link that I hope works:

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...l/radiator/duralast-radiator-b2423/577456_0_0

Where are you seeping/leaking from?

Your upper Radiator hose Dated 10-00 was the original hose your truck came with when new. my 2000 Yukon had a date of 12 20 99 My 18+year old upper and lower radiator hoses were still in good cond. My heater hoses were the same with a date of 99. These factory original hoses are long lasting and don't need to be replaced every 4 years.

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your upper Radiator hose Dated 10-00 was absolutely the Original hose your truck came with when new. How do I know this because my 2000 Yukon had a Date Code very similar to yours. My 18+year old upper and lower radiator hoses still looked pretty good in fact. My heater hoses were the same way with date codes from 2000.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also installed a direct replacement Radiator except mine was from Napa. The first one I got was bent when I opened the box so I took it back and they got another one from another store the next morning. I looked at the AC Delco radiators from Rock Auto and ya they were cheaper but I didn't want the hassle of sending back a radiator that maybe was the wrong size or had a defect.

Last edited:

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also installed a direct replacement Radiator except mine was from Napa. The first one I got was bent when I opened the box so I took it back and they got another one from another store the next morning. I looked at the AC Delco radiators from Rock Auto and ya they were cheaper but I didn't want the hassle of sending back a radiator that maybe was the wrong size or had a defect.
I didn't expect issues w/ mine, but who does? I've bought them online 2x before w/ zero issues.

But, I wont buy an axle online again. Had issues w/ that though.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
splorg:

If at all possible, can you shoot a pic of the tranny line connection area at your radiator? I am wondering why your duralast (which seems to be same pn#cu2423 as what I bought) had fittings installed and mine did not.

I wonder if that is why mine was cheaper? I "got" to do more work?

Thanks for the pic if u can do it. Wondering what your setup looks like....

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do that as soon as I'm done at work sir. I would imagine if yours did not come with fittings that it was improperly manufactured. The fittings in my old radiator were let's say very well bonded in place. I know this because I skip that step in the video, and I spent 20 minutes trying to twist them out with everything from a pair of pliers to a pipe wrench, wondering exactly what the heck I was going to do if I couldn't figure out how to get them out. like I said not a mechanic lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879