Radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten new hoses, clamps, a new radiator and a new overflow bottle cap. I'm about to embark on a radiator replacement. Myself. I'm sure this will turn out.....just fine.

My current radiator has developed a sizable crack in the plastic tank just below the top hose, a vertical one, and I did try the JB Weld radiator repair kit to no avail. Hey, it was only $15.

Anyone else done this and have any tips or tricks, any do's and don'ts? Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of typing but you tube will help and watch 2-3 of them to see if they all say the same thing. Never attempt to patch a rad plastic tank. Never ever works out. What brand of radiator did you get? Since you did not bother to put rig info here, I can't look it up, without guessing and I am too old to do that.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten new hoses, clamps, a new radiator and a new overflow bottle cap. I'm about to embark on a radiator replacement. Myself. I'm sure this will turn out.....just fine.

My current radiator has developed a sizable crack in the plastic tank just below the top hose, a vertical one, and I did try the JB Weld radiator repair kit to no avail. Hey, it was only $15.

Anyone else done this and have any tips or tricks, any do's and don'ts? Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
your leak is just below top rad hose left side tank a few inches down from the top..They all seem to crack in that same spot for some reason.

BaMaDuDe87

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
radiator is a piece of cake, when you drain the coolant out of the old one, jack the rear of the vehicle up a bit or park it on a incline so the rear end is up slightly higher, when you go to fill it, do the opposite lift the front or park it on a incline so the front is up a little. this will keep you from getting air trapped on the system.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
radiator is a piece of cake, when you drain the coolant out of the old one, jack the rear of the vehicle up a bit or park it on a incline so the rear end is up slightly higher, when you go to fill it, do the opposite lift the front or park it on a incline so the front is up a little. this will keep you from getting air trapped on the system.
Great tip man. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM