Radiator replacement/fluids 04 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
switched out my grill for an aftermarket one, noticed now rusty and ancient the radiator is. i know the truck is old and this is most likely the factory one. i was thinking of replacing it before it croaks, and changing out the fluid. what you guys think? go acdelco? after market? im at 130k miles now, whats a good interval for this?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with an AC Delco radiator. If the one you see is the original, then you will be like quality. Radiator cap too. Thermostat at same time.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=434905&cc=1424247&jsn=2258

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1399643&cc=1424247&jsn=2259

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=365829&cc=1424247&jsn=2264

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4647150&cc=1424247&jsn=2272&jsn=2272

I love spending other people's money.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with Ron here. The rust may be superficial from water not coolant. If you want to get a replacement for a backup go AC Delco and the mixture your rig recommends. If, however, you see lots of coolant on it I’d swap and flush the system so you have a good start date.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt see any coolant on it and my temp level stays level at the same place...but man if you flick the fins it just falls apart. rusty as hell. last thing i want is for this truck to croak heat/ac wise this summer. i rather be proactive than reactive. i had the water pump blow on me on a summer day wasnt fun.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I want to clarify, when you say radiator, do you indeed mean radiator? Or are you looking at the a/c condensor, which sits forward of the radiator?

That aside, OE radiator and thermostat, IMO. Had poor luck in the aftermarket with both. No RTV needed. Lube it with some coolant and toss together as per the appropriate torque specs.

For coolant, personally I use this stuff at a 60/40 ratio. Yes, this, specifically. Had a couple back and forths with the MFR about the formulation and a long chat about plasticizers, as well as it's ability to protect both iron and aluminum parts.

If you don't feel like re-inventing the wheel, use dexcool. PM me if you want to chat about it, else that discussion will derail this thread real quick. Meh.

Stick with spring clamps on the rad hoses. If yours are rusted, get new ones. I have a personal vendetta out against worm drive stuff (InB4 "they work for me").

Get a rad with a drain if you can. Much more sanitary when doing maintenance than having to bag off your a/c compressor and belt then rip the hose off and curse as it makes a mess.

912fHKE41GL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im talking about the fins right behind the grille. ill take a picture of it this week and upload.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also was thinking about putting in a light bar there...someone told me its not a good idea to have too much blocking the fins as this is how ir cools with airflow? how true is this? i was thinking a light bar or some yellow strobes for helping around the garage at work in the grille.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz