Radiator options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erock7625

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Yukon XL 1500 SLT with 5.3 and the radiator looks to be leaking a bit on the drivers side so looking to replace it soon. From what I see I have the RPO code K5L which is the enhanced cooling package. The radiator appears to have both the transmission cool and engine oil cooler. On RockAuto the genuine GM part # is 21742 and it's about $430 (O'Reilly wants $777 and it's not in stock/special order). That radiator has a core thickness of about 1" (1.07). I have had some issues with it getting hot going up big hills with the AC on so was looking to possibly upgrade it. The only ones I see with a thicker core are a OSC for $174 and a FVP for $155, however for those prices I'm leery about how good those are, they also have plastic tanks and I think oem are metal. Anyone have any recommendations for a better radiator?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Yukon XL 1500 SLT with 5.3 and the radiator looks to be leaking a bit on the drivers side so looking to replace it soon. From what I see I have the RPO code K5L which is the enhanced cooling package. The radiator appears to have both the transmission cool and engine oil cooler. On RockAuto the genuine GM part # is 21742 and it's about $430 (O'Reilly wants $777 and it's not in stock/special order). That radiator has a core thickness of about 1" (1.07). I have had some issues with it getting hot going up big hills with the AC on so was looking to possibly upgrade it. The only ones I see with a thicker core are a OSC for $174 and a FVP for $155, however for those prices I'm leery about how good those are, they also have plastic tanks and I think oem are metal. Anyone have any recommendations for a better radiator?
The factory radiators are made by Denso and have plastic end tanks. This one will do the trick for you and has a 1.3” core.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Thanks, thought I had looked at Denso but they had no reviews so wasn't sure how well they stack up against OEM. That one isn't the correct model, it lacks the trans/engine cooler, looks like this one is:

Has anyone used Denso? Seems awfully low priced ($209) to be a decent quality radiator.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, thought I had looked at Denso but they had no reviews so wasn't sure how well they stack up against OEM. That one isn't the correct model, it lacks the trans/engine cooler, looks like this one is:

Has anyone used Denso? Seems awfully low priced ($209) to be a decent quality radiator.
either of those would work

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Looks like it's the 103285 for the 5.3L for $247, never heard of radiator.com before, are they their own brand?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good catch. Yes, I have used a Denso in an Acura Legend and a Land Rover LR2. In both cases, they are still in place many years after the work was done. Denso gets the details right, such as the filler neck on the Acura - a common problem point for aftermarket radiators on that car. But the original radiator was a Denso as well, so that made sense.

And once again, Denso is a primary OEM supplier for GM radiators, so it’s a good price for what is essentially a factory radiator.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Good catch. Yes, I have used a Denso in an Acura Legend and a Land Rover LR2. In both cases, they are still in place many years after the work was done. Denso gets the details right, such as the filler neck on the Acura - a common problem point for aftermarket radiators on that car. But the original radiator was a Denso as well, so that made sense.

And once again, Denso is a primary OEM supplier for GM radiators, so it’s a good price for what is essentially a factory radiator.

Thanks, was reading over on another forum about Denso and the general consensus was they are good radiators. I'm good with saving $200 over OEM, called the local Chevy dealer and they had one in stock and the guy was like "ah, it's pretty expensive", they wanted $650 for the oem one.

Looking at RockAuto now I'm confused, they say the 221-9011 excludes the EOC and the Summit site for 221-9011 doesn't say it includes the EOC but the picture shows that is does.

The 221-9514 doesn't say it has the EOC either on the Summit site and the pic shows that it does. I'm guessing the 221-9514 is the correct one, it's also the more expensive one. Rock Auto doesn't list the 221-9514 under my car model but if you search on the part # it shows that they carry it.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Also the Denso website shows that only 221-9011 is for my vehicle, I do have the EOC though as I have metal lines on both sides of the radiator.Screenshot 2023-03-09 182427.pngScreenshot 2023-03-09 182456.png

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the Denso website shows that only 221-9011 is for my vehicle, I do have the EOC though as I have metal lines on both sides of the radiator.
Just verified that the 9514 has the engine oil cooler also. I thought so but wasn’t in a place where I could check. 1-800-radiator is also an excellent option, as Wes suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec