Quick questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dempsey561

Reaction score
I'm really new to the mechanical world, but I'm really interested in learing more about some stuff. I have a 96 tahoe, currently the stock 350. I would like to know which headers and exhaust system would be best to make my tahoe a bit faster, not worried about the gas mpg going down or anything like that. Also I was just currious to why I have 4 wheel drive, but in 2wd I don't have posi--? Is that normal or is my rear axle messed up? -- Thank you. Dempsey561.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Your rear axle may not have a locker option installed. iI was an option during manufacturing. But could be installed later if someone chose to. You probably just have an open differential. Enter your VIN here for a build sheet and break down of your vehicle.

As far as performance it is usually best to start with the intake and work you way thru the engine and down to exhaust. You can actually change a lot of different stuff to get improvements. Do you specifically want to start with exhaust?

I personally was just getting starting on engine mods before I blew out a gasket. I had just installed a K&N Fuel injection performance kit that I got for $238 at amazon.com and was working on getting e-fans, ignition upgrades and throttle body porting, valve train components next before going to headers, hi-flow cats and a cat-back system and finally a computer retune from Black Bear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dempsey561

Reaction score
Well the reason why I would like to get new exhaust first, is because there is a big hole in the muffler and the pipe currently sticks out behind my tire, which is bent closer to my tire and I'm worried one day it'll just completely bend into it and give me a flat. I want to get dual exhaust strait out of the back, and new headers to go with it while I'm at it... I just don't know which brand of anything to get. I don't know which headers would even fit my engine properly. I'm thinking about flowmaster pipes though. Any suggestions towards where I'm going with this?

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 97 yukon and im in the process of making a custom 3" exhaust... im going with pacesetter ceramic coated headers. they fit the bodystyle of our trucks. just go to www.summitracing.com and put your vehicle in the list at the top and then go to the exhaust on the list to the left and find headers *** it will pop up with headers that fit your truck.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well the reason why I would like to get new exhaust first, is because there is a big hole in the muffler and the pipe currently sticks out behind my tire, which is bent closer to my tire and I'm worried one day it'll just completely bend into it and give me a flat. I want to get dual exhaust strait out of the back, and new headers to go with it while I'm at it... I just don't know which brand of anything to get. I don't know which headers would even fit my engine properly. I'm thinking about flowmaster pipes though. Any suggestions towards where I'm going with this?

Then do the exhaust. Can't remember if it was door number or drive type where you may need custom pipes for what you want because of where the gas tank is located. I think it was 2-dr. models that makers were making true dual kits ready to bolt on.

OP
OP
D

Dempsey561

Reaction score
Thank you both. I do look on summit for the right stuff.. but that's just another vendor. I wanted to ask on a site that has people using the same type of truck as me to be sure. That's why I'm on this site. My truck is a 4 door, so it's been a little bit harder to find long headers, and exhaust that will fit my tahoe better. Especially because I want exhaust strait out the back, or angled out the back. Not just one pipe, and not right behind my tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monster Nali