question on using the tranny to slow going down a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live a the top of a steep 2.5 mile hill that I go up and down every day. When I go down hill I drop the Denali into third gear which keeps it at about 35mph and 2800RPM. This way I don;'t ride the brakes down the hill all the time. Is this a bad practice? Would I be better off just wearing out brakes?

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
I live a the top of a steep 2.5 mile hill that I go up and down every day. When I go down hill I drop the Denali into third gear which keeps it at about 35mph and 2800RPM. This way I don;'t ride the brakes down the hill all the time. Is this a bad practice? Would I be better off just wearing out brakes?
You're doing the right thing. If the engine rpm's get up to high it will auto shift to 4th I think its around 4-5000 rpm even though you still have it in 3rd. The trans has a built in safe guard to protect the engine from over rev. you can start off in 1st and when the rpm's get to almost max the trans will shift to 2nd even though its still in 1st on the selector to protect the engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we used to have a 2016 Tahoe, and it automatically did this type of engine breaking..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo