question on cranking bars....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 tahoe, completely stock.....went out today to do a small crank to bring up the front a little and ran into what could be an issue but i'm not really sure. when i got underneath the truck, i quickly realized that the bolt on the drivers side appears like it may have already been cranked??? theres only about 3/4", maybe less, sticking down BUT on the passenger side the bolt is much farther down, like another inch. i then measured the ground to fender at each corner, the rears were at 37.25", left front was at 37", and the right front was at 35". WTF is going on? then when i went to adjust them i couldnt get them to budge at all. i think i'll try tomorrow after letting some penetrating oil soak in but i'm stumped as to why they are different side to side.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
It happens. youre twisting steel, over time one side maybe a little off. and yea they are gonna be tight. I had the same issue, but when i switched out keys they seemed to be a little more matched up

MUDDER TRUCKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its from the gas tank. its on the driver side, they prob cranked it up to make up for the weight....

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

did u have the front end jacked off the ground when u tried to adjust the key? it has to be in the air to adjust it. takes the preasure off the bar.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
oh yea I forgot to include that...you can do it on the ground but its a real mofo.

OP
OP

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. i didnt even think about the weight difference side to side but that makes sense. and no, i didnt have the truck off the ground. i'll make sure to do that for next time!

OP
OP

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas tanks are in the back between the frame rails so it is not because of that. If it is a 2dr

it is a 2 door. the more i think about it, the more i'm willing to bet the original owner was probably messing with it and just didnt get it right.

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was the same way. was almost an inch higher on driver side. i did mine on the ground and just slowly adjusted and measured repeated and repeated until i got it just right. also made a difference for me to rock the vehicle side to side or driving it after cranking so it can settle and get a more accurate measurement.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my truck setup so it's 3/8" higher on the drivers side with a half tank of fuel. Add me in the driver seat and it's level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019