Question I just gotta ask about the 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
This is gonna sound stupid but it's something that has bothered me since I bought my 'Hoe.

Why is the 5.3 motor, the one chosen to replace the venerable 350 cid in the majority of trucks during the NBS era, designed to come into it's own at a relatively high rpm?

A truck is meant to haul and tow heavy stuff. I would think a lower power band would be ideal to get things moving. I guess I am stuck in the groove of low motion high torque school of thought. Why introduce higher revs and shear and rotational stress when the old school ways worked well?

They seem to be heading back to larger motors - were the 4.8's and 5.3's a mistake?

Is it all CAFE and MPG related?
Was it because the flagship 4l60e tranny was/is so weak that they didn't want to push it too hard?

Maybe it's just me but I don't feel comfortable revving over 4000 rpm unless I just robbed a liqueur store (I don't do that anymore - the meds are working). :emotions33:

does anyone know?

03Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is most likely because they want you to use more gas so a smaller engine that has to work harder is going to burn more gas in the long run than a larger motor that can get it done with less work. Just a thought. :greenchainsaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse