Question about the Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrahamB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Denali XL. Ordered and purchased new in May. I have the headlamp issue as well. Took it to the dealership, they diagnosis the issue. Ordered a new sensor. 4 weeks later sensor in and they installed. Still having the same issue. Advisor and tech are reaching out to GM for help.

I am trying to do the tape mod. Can’t get the placement right. If you have done the tape mod, can you please send a photo of where your tape is placed on the sensor? Thanks for the help! Crazy issue on a $80k car.
Check my previous post. Probably on previous page. Tape mod is probably 80-85% efficient.

DanielY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update here. I just spoke to the dealership. They called me to follow up. Technician emailed GM directly. GM came back and said that it’s not a sensor part issue, it’s a software issue and GM is working on a update to the system that will take place reprogramming the sensor. GM is aware of numerous cases. They will advise once an update is available.

Follow up to the tape. I put the tape on the back half of the sensor all the way across it, works fine.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
l take place reprogramming the sensor. GM is aware of numerous cases. They will advise once an update is available.

Follow up to the tape. I put the tape on the back half of the sensor all the way across it, works fine.
Update here. I just spoke to the dealership. They called me to follow up. Technician emailed GM directly. GM came back and said that it’s not a sensor part issue, it’s a software issue and GM is working on a update to the system that will take place reprogramming the sensor. GM is aware of numerous cases. They will advise once an update is available.

Well, my GUESS is that GM had to source a second sensor part number, which has slightly different output than the original, and they didn't catch it.
One solution is swapping the sensor so it works with the non-updated software.
The other is fix the software to accept the new sensor.
GM figures the former is more costly than the latter.

This, of course, is all conjecture by me, but many have reported that replacing the sensor fixes the issue...

GIIOST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up my new RST this morning. I was at a Stop Light and I noticed in the reflection of the car in front that my headlights were on instead of the daytime running lights. It is a bright and sunny day. I checked my settings and they were on Auto. If I turn the knob to the left everything goes off. If I turn the knob to the right one click the headlights go off and the daytime running lights come on, but the dash says that auto lights are now disabled. Is there something I'm missing? I don't know if there is an issue with the lights or if I have a missed setting. Any help?
Make sure your auto wipers are not on which will cause the headlights to come on.

Please see page 144

Attachments

• 5BEDF0E0-4DAB-4991-A8F2-3AFFBBC7AEC0.jpeg
    5BEDF0E0-4DAB-4991-A8F2-3AFFBBC7AEC0.jpeg
    849.2 KB · Views: 16

GIIOST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check my previous post. Probably on previous page. Tape mod is probably 80-85% efficient.
Lights On with Wipers

If the windshield wipers are activated in daylight with the engine on, and the exterior lamp control is in AUTO, the headlamps, parking lamps, and other exterior lamps come on.

When the wipers are not operating, these lamps turn off. Move the exterior lamp control to O or ; to disable this feature.

Attachments

• 359AF24B-E7E0-4678-8FC6-C8CA502930D8.jpeg
    359AF24B-E7E0-4678-8FC6-C8CA502930D8.jpeg
    849.2 KB · Views: 4

GrahamB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lights On with Wipers

If the windshield wipers are activated in daylight with the engine on, and the exterior lamp control is in AUTO, the headlamps, parking lamps, and other exterior lamps come on.

When the wipers are not operating, these lamps turn off. Move the exterior lamp control to O or ; to disable this feature.
‍*insert multiple face palm emojis *

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Glad I held onto my original sensor, after the software update my new-old one may not work anymore and I’ll have to switch back

Buffalown

Reaction score
I am having this same issue. I went into the dealer for the first oil change and asked them to check it out. I even told them about various other people having the same problem on this forum. They ran all the tests on the sensor and everything came back ok or so they say. I had the service advisor come out to the vehicle to show him that it is definitely not working correctly and he insisted that when the daytime running lights are activated the headlights should also be on which makes absolutely no sense to me. He covered up the sensor and the headlights stay on, daytime running lights go off. Uncover the sensor in full sun the headlights stay on along with daytime running lights. They won't do anything about it because as they say that's how its supposed to work and the sensor isn't throwing any errors.

Merkava

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same boat as the rest of you in 22 Yukon AT4 got last week. Dealership claims it's normal and won't replace the sensor since they don't use their brains and instead follow what a computer tells them. Meanwhile a Sierra's drive out the service center with it's DRLs working normal. Very irritating. Doing the tape job and will try a different dealership next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCL24