Question about rewiring the rear windshield wiper controls for a different purpose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
so I run a pretty loud system in my tahoe and it caused my back windshield wiper to just start randomly going and the only way to get it to stop is by cutting the entire truck off. Well I got tired of this so I took off the entire wiper arm off so the only thing showing is the screw the arm attached to.
Here shortly I want to add like 4 light bars to the front end of my truck, I want to do a 50" curved light bar over the windshield, a 20" straight light bar down under the front bumper near the lower control arm bracket (my truck has a 6" rough country suspension lift installed) and 2 4 inch light bars (if I can find some this size that I like) where the fog lights currently are.
I want to make the current fog light button control the 50" light bar on top. This leads me to my question, could I rewire the control so that I could twist it to the first notch (original speed setting #1) to just cut on the 4" light bars and if I turn it to notch #2 then it will cut on both 4's and the 20.
Would something like that be possible? would I have to make pushing it in or twisting it the other way do something or could that be ignored? Could I maybe make those 2 things be like a hold to run setting where it only cuts the lights on as long as I hold it in that position? any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0515[1].jpg
    IMAG0515[1].jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 8

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically yes you could. It would take some very serious relay work to make it happen though. I looked into that a few years ago to control something else as I have barn doors and no rear wiper or switch. I believe the 1 sends a pulsed signal and 2 sends a full on. Pushing it is a momentary on. So you have to relay it to accept those signals and turn it into a full on. Look at the wiring diagram for the switch and figure it out, it's been a while and I don't remember what all I was planning to do.

I may have planned to remove the switch internals and put a 2 position rotary switch behind the stock knob... I really don't remember. But now thinking about it I would probably go that route.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog