Drivers window controls dont work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 yukon XL sLT 5.3.

So recently ive been getting a error on my DiC everytime i start up the car saying "Service Leveling System". Not sure if this is related but i cant tell if anything is wrong. Air suspension seems to be working, holding air and compressor works.

After i notice my drivers door window assembly controls only work for the drivers door. Child lock still works and lights up, window switch lights DO NOT work, mirror toggles and control lights WORK, but the actual mirrors do not move. So essential, drivers window and child locks is the only thing that works on the drivers door.
The individual door window controls work on thier own, i just cant control them from my drivers main cluster.

I found someone who had the exact same problem with thiers as well. (Minus the service leveling system error). But i dont know what the resolve was.

Tryed a new control switch, but the mirror control unit is seperate from the window control unit, alas it didnt fix my problem.

Things ive tryed so far:
New switch assembly
Peeled off door panel and checked wiring
Removed rubber boot from door and chassis to check wiring.
Checked appropriate fuses in side panel near drivers door.
Unplug everything from my BCM and disco the battery for 10 mins.

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You really need a bi-directional scan tool to look at the internal codes for this. You can also use it to check the health of the battery which can cause gremlins like this too when it begins to fail.
Definitely dont have one of those and the battery was replaced about 3 months ago.

The post i stumbled across in some random mechanic site that answers questions, the guy who had the exact same problem, the tech reconmended replaceing the BCM. But as i said up above, i do t know if that resolved his issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2016 yukon XL sLT 5.3.

So recently ive been getting a error on my DiC everytime i start up the car saying "Service Leveling System". Not sure if this is related but i cant tell if anything is wrong. Air suspension seems to be working, holding air and compressor works.

After i notice my drivers door window assembly controls only work for the drivers door. Child lock still works and lights up, window switch lights DO NOT work, mirror toggles and control lights WORK, but the actual mirrors do not move. So essential, drivers window and child locks is the only thing that works on the drivers door.
The individual door window controls work on thier own, i just cant control them from my drivers main cluster.

I found someone who had the exact same problem with thiers as well. (Minus the service leveling system error). But i dont know what the resolve was.

Tryed a new control switch, but the mirror control unit is seperate from the window control unit, alas it didnt fix my problem.

Things ive tryed so far:
New switch assembly
Peeled off door panel and checked wiring
Removed rubber boot from door and chassis to check wiring.
Checked appropriate fuses in side panel near drivers door.
Unplug everything from my BCM and disco the battery for 10 mins.

Any help would be appreciated.
when you say you tried a new window switch, was it new? or another used switch?
did it result in the exact same condition?
and yes the mirror control is a seperate piece.
I would be inclinded to just buy another whole complete door switch with mirror switch off of ebay, you can probably get one for $50 or less I bought one in Aug for $42 for my wifes 16.
if all the other doors and windows work seperately on there own it is likley just the drivers switch, even though you already tried another.

the service leveling system could be anything which is why you need a scanner because it "should" point you right at the problem, but you could check all 4 corners check the shock connectors and the ride hieght sensors, the sensors have rod's if one of those broke or if a connector is off or has a broken wire it could throw the error.

OP
OP

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when you say you tried a new window switch, was it new? or another used switch?
did it result in the exact same condition?
and yes the mirror control is a seperate piece.
I would be inclinded to just buy another whole complete door switch with mirror switch off of ebay, you can probably get one for $50 or less I bought one in Aug for $42 for my wifes 16.
if all the other doors and windows work seperately on there own it is likley just the drivers switch, even though you already tried another.

the service leveling system could be anything which is why you need a scanner because it "should" point you right at the problem, but you could check all 4 corners check the shock connectors and the ride hieght sensors, the sensors have rod's if one of those broke or if a connector is off or has a broken wire it could throw the error.
Yeah the service leveling system isnt prio atm.
It seems to not effect everyday driving as the drivers switch assembly.

So the reason i think its not the switch assembly is because 1: they are 2 different modules and plugs, mirrors and windows. Unlikely they both went out at the same time and....2: i tryed a used one from ebay that cost me about $50, and it did the same thing. Exactly the same thing, down to backlights tgat light the buttons up ect.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the service leveling system isnt prio atm.
It seems to not effect everyday driving as the drivers switch assembly.

So the reason i think its not the switch assembly is because 1: they are 2 different modules and plugs, mirrors and windows. Unlikely they both went out at the same time and....2: i tryed a used one from ebay that cost me about $50, and it did the same thing. Exactly the same thing, down to backlights tgat light the buttons up ect.
these switches go bad, could have just been a another bad one, but, you might want to grab a scanner that will work with the truck like a vcx nano, it comes with gds2 software which is what the dealer uses, you will need a old laptop or windows tablet for the software. they can be tricky to get working but worth the $100 for something that will save you money down the road
when we were shopping for this truck almost every single one had a button or switch issue of some kind, no window operation or no sunroof operation, no mirror operation, etc
when I shop for vehicles I test everything.......

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just seems to me if there was a short you would have other issue's
you could try unplugging the mirror harness and see if the window switch then works or vica-versa and see if the mirror switch works
but I don't know if I would jump to the bcm without more testing or throw a scanner on it.
if I get a chance later I will hook my vcx up to the 16 and see if it allows me to see the switch button positions

OP
OP

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just seems to me if there was a short you would have other issue's
you could try unplugging the mirror harness and see if the window switch then works or vica-versa and see if the mirror switch works
but I don't know if I would jump to the bcm without more testing or throw a scanner on it.
if I get a chance later I will hook my vcx up to the 16 and see if it allows me to see the switch button positio
Ok thanks for the info, i will try unplugging them to see if that helps. Im gonna look into that scanner as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely dont have one of those and the battery was replaced about 3 months ago.

The post i stumbled across in some random mechanic site that answers questions, the guy who had the exact same problem, the tech reconmended replaceing the BCM. But as i said up above, i do t know if that resolved his issue.
Do you have an IPhone? If so, download the CarScanner app in the Apple store and set it up to pull the BCM codes with your OBDII adapter.

With the codes in hand you can quit guessing.

OP
OP

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have an IPhone? If so, download the CarScanner app in the Apple store and set it up to pull the BCM codes with your OBDII adapter.

With the codes in hand you can quit guessing.
Oh really? I use torque app on my samsung alot, i also have access to a iPhone, so i will download that and check it out. I also have the obd2 reader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar