Pulley question on 2014 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was changing idler pulley on the 5.3 vortec, new pulley didn’t come with new screw, mount or shim, so I had to use the screw mount and shim from the old pulley. The new pulley(duralast) isn’t exactly identical to the old one(ACDelco) but I was assured it’s the correct one by AutoZone.
I went ahead and installed the new pulley with the old hardware and it was Sticking out just a hair to much and causing the belt to overhang in the back of the new idler pulley. I did some troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that it was the shim/spacer thing behind the mount of the pulley bearing causing it to stick out just a little too much.

To solve this I just removed the shim and installed it, now the belt sits flush and makes fully contact with the pulley.

The argument is: do I need the pulley shim? Some say it goes on the front of the pulley, some say it goes on the back (like my old pulley was) and some say you don’t need it all, and I’ve heard it’s there to inhibit dust and prevent chirping noises from the bearings.

So do I really need the pulley shim?

Ran fine so I’m guessing no, just wanna hear what y’all think.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do
That's the way it looks on the originals.

This is why we caution against aftermarket parts. In this instance, it appears that Gates (36299) is the OE supplier for 12669569.
I don’t understand what you mean? Do you have a link for this part.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the way it looks on the originals.

This is why we caution against aftermarket parts. In this instance, it appears that Gates (36299) is the OE supplier for 12669569.
Guessing maybe this probably won’t last as long as the OE ones, but it isn’t giving me any issues so far.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do

I don’t understand what you mean? Do you have a link for this part.
Trying to see what you were seeing I looked on RockAuto at a bunch of them.

Guessing maybe this probably won’t last as long as the OE ones, but it isn’t giving me any issues so far.
Maybe, maybe not. What I was alluding to was the different design and you being made to fool around with the washer to get things working right.

Some of the ones I saw had no real protection for the bearing unlike the Gates and GM and one other's design. Yours wasn't on the list so I don't know for sure what it looks like.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to see what you were seeing I looked on RockAuto at a bunch of them.

Maybe, maybe not. What I was alluding to was the different design and you being made to fool around with the washer to get things working right.

Some of the ones I saw had no real protection for the bearing unlike the Gates and GM and one other's design. Yours wasn't on the list so I don't know for sure what it looks like.
So I’ll link what one I am using now below

One I want to get next :
Ac delco gold

One I’m using now : Duralast pulley

And then I see the gates one you mentioned is identical to the ac delco pulley. The dayco one I have looks like the ultra power brand pulley on rock auto

Edit: it was duralast not dayco

Also linked the last pulley that I had

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also when I removed the pulley first time it was installed incorrectly. The washer was on the back. And it it supposed to be on the front of the pulley.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now, I have the duralast pulley running fine with the shim and hardware from the recent pulley. I do hear a little chirping noise barely noticeable thinks it’s my alternator pulley or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz