Puddle light on power mirrors..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does suck for sure!! I'd start over and put all the OEM bulbs back in and see if you do have the same problem!! Let me know the result of putting the OEM's back in, and if it solves the problem and works right, one by one start put the LED's back in and check each one to see if they work correctly before putting the next one in!
I don't have the slightest idea why your truck has that problem with the LED's, I'll keep racking my brain for a solution!

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Does anyone here know if the dome dimmer switch runs off a relay? I read somewhere that the switch might be having an issue with the power that the LEDs draw. I wonder if the dimmer portion is a relay?

For now, I have switched all my LEDs back to the OEM bulbs, and I'm letting it sit and reset. I'll go out later and see if they are fully illuminated. If so, I guess it's the LEDs... if not, I'm guessing there's a hidden relay or a short somewhere.

In that video I posted, when I replaced the LED on the vanity with the OEM bulb I can hear a distinct "click" come from behind the lower dash area by the steering column.
It sounds like a relay, but I have no idea where to look other than the fuse panels in the cab.

Any ideas?

BH

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Still don't know WTF the deal is with my Puddle lights. I have yet to see them come on. I do have an aftermarket alarm, so I'm guessing that's the culprit.

Now onto the interior LEDs. I took them all out and replaced them with the OEM bulbs. There is no loss of current, and they all come on as bright as they go.

Soooo.... first I pulled the front map lights and put in my LEDs. I let the truck sit a while, and turned them all on... and the LEDs are dim. Open the vanity mirror that has the OEM bulbs installed (I heard that little "click" again from down by the steering column) and the map lights come on full strength again.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the vanity lamps having something to do with the current flow to all the map lights. If I replace the vanity bulbs with my LEDs, I have to remove one of them and plug in an OEM blub to get them to come on fully. I can only assume this has to do with the LEDs not being pole-reversible. I suppose I could be wrong, but I can't think of anything else it could be. If the High Power LEDs draw more current than the OEMs then why does it need a low power OEM bulb for them to light up?

So now I have all my interior lights changed to LEDs, and when I want them on fully I just quickly open and close the vanity mirrors (which are still the OEM bulbs)

BH

ludvball

Reaction score
If i remember correctly, when you program the memory of each driver (seat position, mirrors, pedal height....) there is a setting for the puddle lights.

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Puddle Lights

If i remember correctly, when you program the memory of each driver (seat position, mirrors, pedal height....) there is a setting for the puddle lights.

How so? I only have the ability to program my driver seat, and I adjust the angle, ride height, fwd-back & foot pedal depth, and then the angle of mirrors... then press "1" or "2" to set on that button. I don't recall a light option though.

BH

ludvball

Reaction score
How so? I only have the ability to program my driver seat, and I adjust the angle, ride height, fwd-back & foot pedal depth, and then the angle of mirrors... then press "1" or "2" to set on that button. I don't recall a light option though.

BH

It is part of the Driver Information Center (DIC). This is controlled with the 4 buttons on the steering wheel. The button you would use is the top one on the right. It is the perimeter lighting function. When turned on, the perimeter lights, headlamps and back up lamps all light up for 40 seconds.

I am not sure if this is available on all vehicles. I have an 03 Denali.

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Yeah, I have mine on... but to my knowledge no puddle lights. It was my understanding that they only lit up when activated by the key fob, when unlocking the doors from the outside. Now, I have an aftermarket alarm so it may not be controlling it... just the door locks & alarm sensors.

Dunno.

It drives great though!

BH

ludvball

Reaction score
Yeah, I have mine on... but to my knowledge no puddle lights. It was my understanding that they only lit up when activated by the key fob, when unlocking the doors from the outside. Now, I have an aftermarket alarm so it may not be controlling it... just the door locks & alarm sensors.

Dunno.

It drives great though!

BH

Sounds like it might be the aftermarket alarm. here is what I pulled out the owners manual:

Perimeter Lighting
Press the personalization button until PERIMETER
LIGHTING appears in the display. To select your
personalization for perimeter lighting, press the select
button while PERIMETER LIGHTING is displayed on the
DIC. Pressing the select button will scroll through the
following choices:
PERIMETER LIGHTING ON (default): The headlamps
and back-up lamps will come on for 40 seconds, if it
is dark enough outside, when you unlock the vehicle
with the remote keyless entry transmitter.

PERIMETER LIGHTING OFF: The perimeter lights will
not come on when you unlock the vehicle with the
remote keyless entry transmitter.

Choose one of the two options and press the
personalization button while it is displayed on the
DIC to select it and move on to the next feature.

Although, I thought my lights came on when I exit the vehicle. I will check tonight.

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I might tru locking and unlocking the door with the key tonight, just to see if it comes on then.

the only reason I even give a crap about them is because I'm having the issue with the interior lights and my LED swap.

BH

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I saw the puddle light on the passenger side come on today. I'm guessing the driver side worked too.

Now we can all sleep at night.

BH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylentnite