Puddle light on power mirrors..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
How do you set the lights under the power mirrors to come on? Or do they come on automatically when you're driving? I've never noticed one way or another, and I'm in my shop right now trying to trouble shoot the problem I'm having with my LED interior swap. I just want to see them light up so I can be sure the system is working.

ALSO, I have checked every damn LED bulb in my interior, and they are all seated. I still have to yank one of the LED vanity bulbs and reseat the old "fuse" style OEM bulb in that vacant socket to get the interior LEDs to come on full strength. I can then remove that OEM bulb, and put in the LED vanity bulb in and they work fine. After the vehicle sits turned off for a few minutes however, it has to be reset like I said before.

Second question, is there a relay fuse for all the interior lighting?

Thanks

BH

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
mine come on when i open the door. other than that not sure unless you hard wire them a switch or something.

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure ur dome override switch hasnt been touched.. happens quite often...

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
There has to be a relay dead or something... I just don't know where the hell it is.

Could ANYONE with electrical experience wrap their brain around this one and help me out? I checked all the bulbs, and they are good.

The scenario as it sits right now is this...

The front map lights work when all the overhead domes come on, but once I'm in the cab (and they dim to off) the buttons on the front map lights won't turn them on. Open the door, and they come on. Obviously the bulbs work.

The map lights in the 2nd and 3rd row don't work at all. Press the buttons and there's nada.

Is there a relay or a fuse that is dedicated solely to the map lights?

Thanks in advance.

BH

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't think of one right off hand but I do recommend going through ALL of the fuses one by one and see if any are burnt out!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain but it has solved a few problems on my denali, sometimes circuits are piggy backed together but not in the label of the fuse! Good luck and keep us informed!

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Found it.. TBC 2C it's in the dash panel fuse block. 15A fuse. I still don't know why the heck it blew, but it did.

I actually found the answer on a Diesel truck forum. Googled it.

Now.... I need to figure out if my puddle lamps on the power mirrors even work before I order LEDs. When exactly should they come on? Are they controllable, meaning can they be disabled? If so, how?

Thanks

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't even noticed if they work during the day but whenever I open my doors at night or also when I turn off my alarm they turn on. Also I think I can somewhat control them through the driver information center in the truck.
Glad you found the fuse, like I said it sucks that sometimes we would need to check every fuse you have for a problem!!

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I hate this shit. Now that I have the fuse replaced, it's back to the same problem. If I put all the LEDs in and let the vehicle sit idle for a few minutes I have an issue.

All of the lights that were on that 15A fuse (vanity mirrors, switched front Maps, 2nd Row Maps, and 3rd row Maps) come on at about 25% brightness. They are not full strength. I know this, because when I remove a bulb (any bulb) and replace them with the old OEM fuse style bulb they all come on full strength. I can then remove that OEM bulb and put in the final LED, and they stay on full strength until I let it sit idle with them off for a few minutes.

So it's as if any combination of LEDs and OEM bulbs is either not drawing enough current to come on fully. Those LEDs can't have the polarity reversed on them, so they only work one way. When I put in an OEM bulb that can be reversed.. it completes some circuit and they come on. AND, to make it really F&%King stupid... if I leave the OEM bulb in, and let it sit idle, I have to remove the MF'ing OEM bulb and put it right back in for them to come on fully.
The only thing I have yet to do is rip out all the LEDs, and replace the OEMs to see if I still have the current issue.

WHAT THE f^&k?

As trivial as this all sounds to anyone that's putting $3k rims on their hoe, this is really pissing me off. I spent $60 on LEDs and I have inherited a freaking gremlin along with them.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1633885654756

BH

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rarelyseen