Programming mileage in a replacement cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what it takes to be able to do it yourself? What sort of tech or device is necessary to do this on a 99-02 or 03-06 cluster? I'm thinking about buying an Escalade cluster but want to be able to program my actual mileage into it before installing it. I am familiar with all the dash rebuilders that can do it as a service, but I'm wondering about being able to do it on my own. Most rebuilders want $80+ to program mileage and are hard pushing a full rebuild for $250+. Not really interested in that option. Thanks in advance.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
takes a eeprom programmer and software, you may end up spending far too much time and money trying to figure out how to do it when you could have just had a speedo shop do it. unless you are going to be doing things like this for a living it's not worth the time to me anyway, usually you can find people on craigslist that do it for side money

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what it takes to be able to do it yourself? What sort of tech or device is necessary to do this on a 99-02 or 03-06 cluster? I'm thinking about buying an Escalade cluster but want to be able to program my actual mileage into it before installing it. I am familiar with all the dash rebuilders that can do it as a service, but I'm wondering about being able to do it on my own. Most rebuilders want $80+ to program mileage and are hard pushing a full rebuild for $250+. Not really interested in that option. Thanks in advance.
I describe how mileage is stored in the EEPROM and what it takes to reprogram it in this thread. I was actually making the change to turn on the trans temp gauge, but I mapped out much of the contents of the memory which included the mileage.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/update-to-adding-trans-temp-gauge.110600/

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pay the $80 and save yourself the headache and expense of an eeprom programmer and software unless you just want the experience of doing it yourself. Unless you’re planning on doing it on a lot of clusters it’s not worth it IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs