Programmers - NOT CUSTOM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMoNeE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since the other thread is pretty much all "go with a custom" I just wanted to dedicate this one to over the counter ones.

I understand you guys really like black bear's tunes, but im really not interested. I like being able to change options on the fly, or go back to stock, without shipping, crank re-learning, whatever.

So I'd like to dedicate this to over the counter programmers. My buddy at 4wheelparts.com recommends the superchips tuner. Anyone have experience with it, or any other brand ones?

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
HPtuners is kinda like having a cutom tunner around all the time...

however, i have always understood diablo to be the best, and here is why.

Diablo, like all the others, have per-set peramiters that are unique to each year/make/model. you plug your programer in and begin making adjustments. this is the freedom you want. But what if it doesnt have a certain peramiter you are looking for? Well with diablo you also have the ability to get more peramiters downloaded to your programer from the diablo people to help make your experience just a little more custom.

all that being said, i dont know shit about can-programers but im sure they cant be that bad. I know exactly what you mean when you say you want to be able to make changes, this is why i would love to learn EFIlive and be able to tune my PCM myself. as for the crank re-learn, it is as easy as pie man...

Good luck finding a good programer. Im sure you wont be dissapointed.

OP
OP
T

TMoNeE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
^^
Thx guys, some good posts, appreciate it. I will do some more research on the diablo and hptuner

Man Van

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are all available online. You go buy the credit online then download it. It's the same as the diablo. I'm a little partial to hptuners cause that's what most performance shops specializing in GM vehicles use around here(Dallas area) With the great success they have had tuning with the user friendly software and excellent customer service I just wouldn't go any other way.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yes i tried swooping up an HPTuner about 6 months ago, it was on sale with credits on craigslist for like $50

DenaliGrill.com

Denali Grill
Reaction score
Tuning

Deep subject here...

I have a lot of experience working with Rick at www.SynergyMotorsports.net
in Northern California.
With all the capabilities of the on board computer, all you need is to have the vehicle dynoed, then tuned and re dynoed ~$400-450. The MAF, knock sensors, and the tune take care of everything.
This is not The Fast and the Furious where you are driving down the road and changing things on the fly.
You tune it for performance and drivability and leave it.
I had a chip module on my first 2000 Yukon XL and it was junk compared to having a professional tune with HP Tuners software. (the chip was before I knew Rick)
I've seen Rick get a 50+HP Gain from Z-06's + 2+ MPG and great drivability.

Rick built me a custom 408" Torque Monster for my C5 Corvette with a pretty healthy cam. He tuned it so I could let it idle through a parking lot in 1st gear, feet off the pedals and it was smooth as silk. I tracked that car and used it for a daily driver, with not one issue after it was tuned.

I hope this helps.

Man Van

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Deep subject here...

I have a lot of experience working with Rick at www.SynergyMotorsports.net
in Northern California.
With all the capabilities of the on board computer, all you need is to have the vehicle dynoed, then tuned and re dynoed ~$400-450. The MAF, knock sensors, and the tune take care of everything.
This is not The Fast and the Furious where you are driving down the road and changing things on the fly.
You tune it for performance and drivability and leave it.
I had a chip module on my first 2000 Yukon XL and it was junk compared to having a professional tune with HP Tuners software. (the chip was before I knew Rick)
I've seen Rick get a 50+HP Gain from Z-06's + 2+ MPG and great drivability.

Rick built me a custom 408" Torque Monster for my C5 Corvette with a pretty healthy cam. He tuned it so I could let it idle through a parking lot in 1st gear, feet off the pedals and it was smooth as silk. I tracked that car and used it for a daily driver, with not one issue after it was tuned.

I hope this helps.
I think what the OP was refering to was road tuning. Meaning he can adjust changes after running some scans parked of course. Any good performance shop will rent out a dyno to you at X cost per hour. You make changes as needed, but the real benefit of a tuner is that you can make changes in real world situations. Dyno is only good for measuring hp not how the vehicle will respond while on the road.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

yes i tried swooping up an HPTuner about 6 months ago, it was on sale with credits on craigslist for like $50
DAMN that's a freakin steal. I bet it sold quick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk