Problems putting roof rack back on??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaletti

Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping ya'll can help me out.
I removed my roof rack a while back, and sealed the holes with silicone adhesive to prevent water from entering/rust, as many had suggested or done themselves.

The other day I had to move some tables, so I figured I'd try to put the rack back on.
I picked out the sealant with a small screw driver, noticed a little rust on the metal insert holes. However, none of the screws will thread into the holes?

For some reason I feel like I'm missing a piece? All i have are the screws, and the plastic/metal pieces that actually make up the roof rack. Am I missing anything?
Is the sealant preventing my screws from threading? So essentially if you take this route your roof rack can never be put back on?

Let me know if anyone has any info on this. Thanks

houstone003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im having the same problem i got my truck with no roof racks and when i got some to put the i punched the holes open again (you could see the ****** cover up) and the screw just slides in and out as if there is not nut on the other side to screw into

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping ya'll can help me out.
I removed my roof rack a while back, and sealed the holes with silicone adhesive to prevent water from entering/rust, as many had suggested or done themselves.

The other day I had to move some tables, so I figured I'd try to put the rack back on.
I picked out the sealant with a small screw driver, noticed a little rust on the metal insert holes. However, none of the screws will thread into the holes?

For some reason I feel like I'm missing a piece? All i have are the screws, and the plastic/metal pieces that actually make up the roof rack. Am I missing anything?
Is the sealant preventing my screws from threading? So essentially if you take this route your roof rack can never be put back on?

Let me know if anyone has any info on this. Thanks

If your screws will not screw in properly due to the sealant (which is quite possble), I would get a tap and chase the thread in order for it to be all clean, no sealant preventing the screw from turning.

I do not think you are missing anything other then the screws.

Hope this helps.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Looks like the screw hole is bigger now.... I'd go get some bigger screws and get the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts