Roof Rack For Kayak???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007YukonXL

Reaction score
I read all of the posts on this forum and looked online and I cannot find the information I am looking for.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Kayak roof rack?

The truck is a 2007 Yukon XL and it has the roof rack like is in the attached picture.

I bought two kayaks that are 12 feet long and 31 inches wide so I need a really secure roof rack system.

When you buy a system do you unscrew the existing roof rack and the use the OEM mounting holes to install a "landing pad" and then build up a system from there?

I see some systems that are 1600 bucks and that is way out of the price range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• ROOF RACK.jpg
    ROOF RACK.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 10

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read all of the posts on this forum and looked online and I cannot find the information I am looking for.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Kayak roof rack?

The truck is a 2007 Yukon XL and it has the roof rack like is in the attached picture.

I bought two kayaks that are 12 feet long and 31 inches wide so I need a really secure roof rack system.

When you buy a system do you unscrew the existing roof rack and the use the OEM mounting holes to install a "landing pad" and then build up a system from there?

I see some systems that are 1600 bucks and that is way out of the price range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'm assuming you saw this thread, yes?

Get the right Yakima landing pads for the factory roof rack on your truck. Then you can buy used Yakima towers and crossbars bars from wherever to complete the base rack, along with the appropriate bar attachments for the kayaks you have.

The weak link in the factory rack is the crossbars. The roof rails themselves (the part that's bolted to the roof), are solid. So the solution I'm describing above lets you keep the factory roof rails and use stronger Yakima crossbars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288