Problems after replacing hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They clearly don't know WTF they are doing, this makes me furious. Don't let them take advantage of you. Get a 2nd opinion. Look at local ma and pa shops with good google ratings. You have nobody mechanically inclined to help I assume?
That’s what I was thinking, they’re trying to treat me like a dumb girl. Not really, no one I trust completely or who has a background in mechanics. My dad passed on so just trying not to be without a vehicle.

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So they did the work on the driver's side/left side, and after 45 mph it pulls to the right or pulls to the right when applying brakes at 45 mph? The "friend" had said would likely need ball joints and sway bar bushings based off of mileage and did not look at it, correct? What happened or was said at the local mechanic shop in southern Iowa and why was the truck taken there? was the friend working there? Was the truck inspected before purchase? Inspected at the mechanic's shop and if so, what did they say? When you took it back, after the noise and pull, did they say it needed ball joints and tie rods before the hub assembly or that was found during hub assembly or they did not look and they just were saying it needed ball joints and tie rods after this much mileage? By the way, how many miles on this truck?

A pre purchase inspection could have saved a lot of this hassle, if it was never done.
The pulling starts when i get up to 45 & the screech starts. Almost sounds like the wheel is locked up and than the clunking starts. The truck brakes fine though and comes to a stop, making the noise until I completely stop and when I go again it goes away until 45 again. No inspection, bought it myself from the non mechanic friend who said it might need the ball joints, etc replaced soon. No one said I needed anything else replaced until after I had the hub assembly done & drove it back because of what it was now doing. 230,000 miles. I know I shouldn’t ever buy a vehicle without at least having a mechanic look it over but at the time wasn’t able to do due to my daughter who is disabled has been ill and am pretty much sole provider and couldn’t leave her.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
From KC, Mo. and been to Okoboji, Iowa and Humboldt, Iowa. Okoboji to party with friends and Humboldt for Harley drag races. Both places had good times.

Whoever did the hub should reinspect their work and find source of screech noise, clunking and pulling right.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From KC, Mo. and been to Okoboji, Iowa and Humboldt, Iowa. Okoboji to party with friends and Humboldt for Harley drag races. Both places had good times.

Whoever did the hub should reinspect their work and find source of screech noise, clunking and pulling right.
I think they’re the ones telling her the noise is due to bad ball joints.

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

KC is just down the road a minute & Humboldt is always good fun. They didn’t even take the wheel off when I went back and that’s when they tried to tell me I need ball joints & ti-rods. Called the, today & got told they’d talk to the “mechanic” and never called me back. Going to have to ask some good farmer guys who is a trustworthy local shop to go to.

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lamont is indeed a very small town. Been by it many times on I-35.

If you were closer to Osceola, I might be able to ask some folks for a good mechanic. I sister-in-laws family lives there.
I’m only 30 minutes from there but can’t drive it that far this way. Maybe you can find out who’s good for future reference. Won’t be going back where I went but am apprehensive about who to go to for help becuase don’t want to have even more issues or spend money I don’t have Right now. ‘

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn that sucks I am sorry. I hate feeling helpless.
It sucks. And I’m usually pretty self reliant and if I can do it myself, I will. Not afraid to get under the hood even though with this one I have to stand on a step ladder lol. I don’t have a clue with this and afraid of making it worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper