Problems after brake swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heldju

Reaction score
Hi.
I have just finished swapping the brakes on my 04 Tahoe 4wd. I have changed disks, pads and calipers.
I mounted the new calipers on the car before mowing the brake lines. After that I opened the bread valve until fluid came out. When all the brake was done I bleed all the calipers wit my wife at the pedal and me with a bleeder hose into a bottle with brake fluid. We started from the corner furthest away from master cylinder. I always made sure that the brake fluid was topped up.

The problem now is that only the front right will block when flooring the brake pedal. I can feel that the left is braking but it won’t block.

What could be the problem?

HD

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the master go dry at any time while doing the swap or bleeding them?

if it did you need to bleed the master first, then do all the calipers again. i have my pedal pumper pump the brakes, then crack the line nuts to bleed the master. keep bleeding till you no longer hear air spitting out. do each line separate.

and you got the calipers on the right sides? bleeders must be on the top side of the caliper.

OP
OP
H

Heldju

Reaction score
Yes all the bleeders are on top.
The master never went dry. I always keep it minimum 3/4 full.

I noticed something else. I changed upper and lower control arms in the front the same time as I did the brakes. When I was done I adjusted the torisjon keys back to the same as it was wit the old arms. And now one side sit 1cm taller then the other one. Can that have anything to do with the brakes because of uneven weight distribution?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The height shouldn’t matter. If you pull a front or rear caliper that doesn’t work well and have your pumper pump do the pistons move? If these were New calipers they may be stuck. Are the new rotors the same thickness?

OP
OP
H

Heldju

Reaction score
The pistons move nicely and the rotors are the same thickness.

The car brakes evenly as I push the pedal in, but when push it hard in the last bit it only blocks the right one. It feels like it happens when the ABS kicks in.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the abs or tc or brake light on? or has it been on? be best to scan it for abs codes.

i have a elm 327 bluetooth already and got the chevronsys free app. works pretty good for abs codes, can see history, and clear history too. also does live data and tranny and engine codes. as well as clearing them too.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the brake line hose to the calipers tend to fail time to time. they let fluid to the caliper and then dont let it back out. most of the time you'll find a soft spot on the line.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep throwing stuff at you. Did you get to check the connections at the wheels? Wheel speed sensors abs connections etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900