Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Smith 3332

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I stopped by a GMC dealer in Northern Virginia to look at a Yukon XL. The dealer only had Denalis and one AT4. While I understand that there is a shortage of new cars, I thought that a $15,000 market adjustment was ridiculous. I get that dealers are getting short on inventory and that a reduction in incentives and discounts is reasonable based upon supply and demand. But adding $15,000 for the privilege of buying a vehicle is just plain wrong.

As an aside, my Chevy dealer said that OEMs have taken notice that vehicle transaction prices have increased substantially with limited manufacturer incentives and that we should not expect inventory levels to return to the overstocked levels that we have seen for the past 30 years or so. He predicts that there will be more special ordering in the future, which will significantly reduce the need for dealer discounts and manufacturer incentives.

John Smith 3332

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the price market adjustment. As consumers we feel like we are taken advantage of. As a dealer, they invested in a dealership based on volume to make a profit... so they can stay in business. Not the manufacturer fails to supply enough vehicles so they can make a reasonable profit.

Now they charge market adjustments so they can stay in business or not loose money. I respect that more than forcing me to pay thousands of dollars for a wax job and other add ons

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the price market adjustment. As consumers we feel like we are taken advantage of. As a dealer, they invested in a dealership based on volume to make a profit... so they can stay in business. Not the manufacturer fails to supply enough vehicles so they can make a reasonable profit.

Now they charge market adjustments so they can stay in business or not loose money. I respect that more than forcing me to pay thousands of dollars for a wax job and other add ons
Would you go to WalMart and pay $5.99 for a bag of chips stamped $3.99 on the bag? I doubt it. This will bite some dealers in the end and they truly deserve what they get.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just now noticed Tedbritt Chevy in Sterling selling the burbs with the RST package 5k above MSRP on their website and I’m sure they will sell all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garymyman

Reaction score
I see this as a new paradigm shift in vehicle purchasing. Just like housing, prices will start at MSRP. There will be no negotiating 5 to 10% off like there was in the past. MSRP will be the sales price and if the vehicle is a hot ticket it will be MSRP plus if you want it. I’ve read that many places, and by a year from now this will be the new normal.

found the salesman.

GMC has $4500 customer cash *right now* on 1500 Sierras. A dealer in my state is giving ~$2k off Yukons. Production numbers will pick up and dealers will have inventory again. There are only so many customers for $70k+ SUV’s.

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed same thing here in Richmond VA area. New and used truck prices higher than some other areas. I get there is a production shortage and couple that with high demand with limited inventory prices will continue to rise until supply builds up or consumer demand drops. I do not recall seeing prices for used cars increase as fast as they have. It has never happened that I recall but you will see a correction in the market. Not as bad as the 08 housing issue. I would think it a bubble on new and used car markets is possible or cars will be priced out of affordability. I did find a clean 2005 4x4 1500 crew cab. It took me months to locate a clean / well maintained truck.

BTSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you go to WalMart and pay $5.99 for a bag of chips stamped $3.99 on the bag? I doubt it. This will bite some dealers in the end and they truly deserve what they get.

depends on supply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT