Premature tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought new, in 2016 an Infiniti QX50. ( fun car - lot'sa power).....
The tires were Dunlop Sports. They wore out way too fast and no mileage warranty from both dealer or manufacturer. The reason is..... Infiniti chose these tires because they grip the road well, to show 'handling'... but they wear fast. ( Bought new tires last year...)......

I just bought Michelin LTX MS for my '05 Yukon..... ( Oh, my.... wonderful tires)...
The tires I put on 4 years ago were Yokohama ( Discount Tire). They wore out in 25,000 miles, but the "warranty" was 70,000. BUT... Yokohama does not warranty them after 4 years. ( WT hell?).... Plus, the Yokohama's are DANGEROUS on the wet when aged/slightly worn.

So, last month, I went to Discount Tire..... They chose to create their own warranty on the Yokohama's.... They gave me $51.00 per tire!! ( Why I have been doing business with them since 1992).
I bought the Michelin's ( 17"), all new TPMS sensors and their road hazard warranty, all for the price of 4 retail- sale price, Michelin's. ( $1,200 including taxes/fees )
So,..... Dealers use grippy tires to enhance handling to sell the vehicle, but lousy wear, and they know this.

OP
OP
B

baum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So just an update… I finally got in to get new rubber. I was able to get Goodyear to give me $100 per tire back. Only downfall is they required me to get the same ones. So basically half price for all 4

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be suprised - same brand/model/size tires are actually different from what comes on from the factory and what you would buy on the retail market. It's a different rubber compound. You can tell by the UTQG numbers.

OP
OP
B

baum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'd be suprised - same brand/model/size tires are actually different from what comes on from the factory and what you would buy on the retail market. It's a different rubber compound. You can tell by the UTQG numbers.
Good to know. The guy at the tire shop told me the same thing..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet