Preferred ball joint press?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll...do you guys have a preferred ball joint press? I had to put on a new ball joint over the weekend and it was a bear with the unit I rented from oreilly. I just felt like it was going to break. Do you guys have units that you like and work with HD type equipment?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Powerbuilt brand that I used from AutoZone seemed to work fine. The main issue I had was getting a rental set from AutoZone that had all the adapters and spacers with it. They ended up taking a brand new one off the shelf for me because they could make a complete set with the ones they had.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my control arms, which came with new ball joints attached. It seemed to be an easier and much more complete maintenance task to refresh the suspension bushings.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree with @Joseph Garcia and use the complete arms with new ball joints and new bushings.

I have this Maddox one from Harbor Freight and it worked fine the 2 or 3 times I've used it.

There is a guy here in Eugene, selling the same set for $50. Of no use to me because I use the whole arm. Could likely buy for $30 though.

Reaction score
I agree with @Joseph Garcia and use the complete arms with new ball joints and new bushings.

There is a guy here in Eugene, selling the same set for $50. Of no use to me because I use the whole arm. Could likely buy for $30 though.

I bought mine 3-4 years ago. It was like $59 and I had a 10% off coupon. I've used it on my 2001 and 2011.

OP, don't forget that if replacing the upper arms to get an alignment afterwards.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, however on the 2500s, there is no lower control arm. I'll assume the 1500s do. I know my old envoy did. But on the 2500 burb its a torsion bar suspension, so you MUST press in a new ball joint. God I wish they had bolt on BJs.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Powerbuilt brand that I used from AutoZone seemed to work fine. The main issue I had was getting a rental set from AutoZone that had all the adapters and spacers with it. They ended up taking a brand new one off the shelf for me because they could make a complete set with the ones they had.
Because they don’t even look at the tools when you bring them back lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone