Power window motor rear left door replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmycaps12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am a novice.

I have diagnosed my L rear power window motor has went out on my 1999 Tahoe. I came to this conclusion when both the drivers window switch for the L rear window and the switch on the L rear window didn't work. I confirmed it by popping out the interior door panel on the L rear door and testing the connector to the motor. It has power going to it when the switch is used but the motor is not doing anything. No movement, clicks, nothing.

My question is whether or not this motor can be easily replaced without replacing the window regulator? I have the interior of the door off, but opening it futher makes me nervous. I don't know if I can go on the other side and deal with the regulator. I'm afraid I'll ruin it.

If anyone has any 1999 tahoe specific information, that would be great. The only videos I found on youtube were for vehicles similar to the '99 tahoe, but not the exact vehicle.

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
From what I can see, the regulator replacement videos are good enough to see how to swap the motor out. When I first started many moons ago I used color tape to mark things like wiring harness spots and paths when replacing and snaking thru panels to connection points. After a while your brain ad memory get used to the extra info ad you just develop a sense for it. Watch 3-4 of them that are relatively close to what you want because 1 guy can be different than another and be more or less thorough and you can weed out what you don't like and then watch it again when you have your fav and go from there. Tak pics along the way or a video. You can refer back if needed that way. Someone else here may have a video they can send a link to you for that would be the best yet.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As PNW states, take photos or videos along the way through your project.

Yes, the invention of having a camera within a cell phone has changed the world for documenting repairs throughout a project. If I have any uncertainty regarding how being able to get back to my starting point, when beginning a repair project, I use my cell phone camera extensively through snapshots to document each step, including how to get back to my original starting point.

For those of us who have been around cars/trucks for several decades, we can all remember at one time or another, making hand drawings to document what springs went where, and in what position, when we initially removed a classic brake drum on a new-to-us vehicle, before we started to remove all of the springs in order to replace the brake pads. What we would have given to have a simple cell phone with a camera to replace those hand drawings.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I was in the Navy I was on the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk. I was a photographer. In our photo crew on the ship we had a camera repairman and he would shoot pics while he disassembled a camera for repair just in case he had a brain fart. He used a Polaroid with a special telephoto lens so that he had instant pics.

Long story but the short version is that one time I took his dress uniform shoes he kept in his work area and went next door to the print shop and used their huge paper cutting hydraulic powered machine with a very sharp blade and cut the toes off his shoes. Put them back under his counter and he did not find out till one day when there was an inspection. He was a little pissed. No one told on me. The day I got out, after 4 years, I told him it was me. He just stared. I laughed all the way to my cousin's mustang that picked me up.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
yes you can replace just the motor but if the price isn’t far off get the entire unit. Though the motor is 20 yo there’s a reason it went bad.

Yea, when you get that far in the weeds with the tear down process, do the regulator while you are in there. Those little rollers don't last forever.

MrFixitAz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am a novice.

I have diagnosed my L rear power window motor has went out on my 1999 Tahoe. I came to this conclusion when both the drivers window switch for the L rear window and the switch on the L rear window didn't work. I confirmed it by popping out the interior door panel on the L rear door and testing the connector to the motor. It has power going to it when the switch is used but the motor is not doing anything. No movement, clicks, nothing.

My question is whether or not this motor can be easily replaced without replacing the window regulator? I have the interior of the door off, but opening it futher makes me nervous. I don't know if I can go on the other side and deal with the regulator. I'm afraid I'll ruin it.

If anyone has any 1999 tahoe specific information, that would be great. The only videos I found on youtube were for vehicles similar to the '99 tahoe, but not the exact vehicle.

Thanks!

MrFixitAz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here but by the looks of the answers you got,No one here can answer your question. Just a bunch of stories. I'm doing a 1999 tahoe currently with a bad rear power window riser. It seams impossible just to remove the riser at first,but i got it out. Next parts. There is not a single one piece riser with motor available. Also I can only find the motor no riser. The wheels are glued in place because of the grease which has turned into glue. In Arizona the heat turns oil into rubber once mixed with dust,heat,oil=rubber or tar. Very difficult to remove.

Anyway I'll report back later I have removed the motor and riser from the rear door. You must drill out all the rivets from door handle and riser assembly.then take out the window trim and guide seals.then remove glass,then door handle (inside One). Then carefully remove riser. Getting it back in is going to be a trick. I'll be back later. Oh I'm not interested in old Navel stories or how to take pictures.That's for non professional backyard mechanics. I'm really doing the job not just reminiscing.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm new here but by the looks of the answers you got,No one here can answer your question. Just a bunch of stories. I'm doing a 1999 tahoe currently with a bad rear power window riser. It seams impossible just to remove the riser at first,but i got it out. Next parts. There is not a single one piece riser with motor available. Also I can only find the motor no riser. The wheels are glued in place because of the grease which has turned into glue. In Arizona the heat turns oil into rubber once mixed with dust,heat,oil=rubber or tar. Very difficult to remove.

Anyway I'll report back later I have removed the motor and riser from the rear door. You must drill out all the rivets from door handle and riser assembly.then take out the window trim and guide seals.then remove glass,then door handle (inside One). Then carefully remove riser. Getting it back in is going to be a trick. I'll be back later. Oh I'm not interested in old Navel stories or how to take pictures.That's for non professional backyard mechanics. I'm really doing the job not just reminiscing.

Be sure to post up the pics of your work along the way, to help others out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Sorry to have wasted your time. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

First: It is Naval stories and not Navel. That is a belly button. Totally different story. Spell check is your friend.

Second: My recommendation of pics was for the OP and not everyone.

Third: I am no longer a professional tech but was for 35+ years and was ASE Master Tech and ASE Service Consultant and a service manager the last 25+ years. I already know what you are going to say. "So what, anyone can be an ASE Master Tech". You are exactly right. Anyone can. Go take the tests and show me. I have no idea about EVERYTHING but I do know enough to be dangerous.

Fourth: Is MrFixit a backyard professional mechanic designation? One I haven't heard of before.

Fifth: Take this all with a grain of salt. My attempt at levity. We members all try to help. Not everything works out. I am and have always been better at recommendations and repairs when I can lay my hands on the problem area.

Whatever you do when you report back about your repair endeavors, don't include pics. That may be more than you can stand to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier