Power Steering Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if it's worth adding a PS cooler before I change the pump. Pump only gets weak when I leave the truck running/idling with AC going for 20+ mins. Not sure if my aluminum rad without plastic end tanks is causing/helping this. Truck is lifted with oversize wheels and tires. If I change the pump I was thinking I might add one for longevity anyway so...

$175 for a Delco
$84 for a Dorman. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7852644&cc=1061356&jsn=489

Are there any other options apart from a junkyard? Has anyone installed one of these?

Is this worthwhile or am I wasting my time and should I just replace the PS pump?

Thanks

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive replaced the stock style one on a 99 ram with
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331210
mounts were totally different but i planned to put it in a different spot anyway. not sure where the stock one is actually located but the ram was mounted very low and unguarded. i was running 33s on that and after an hr of trail crawling i noticed a similar problem. i broke the original stock one when a branch i ran over broke and popped up.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of this vintage have a small p/s cooler, sometimes just a tube, others a small fin tube, with the hydroboost trucks having the largest usually. Try a Lares rebuilt- I have had 100 percent success with them.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Dorman cooler for now. Looks identical to the Delco but half the price. Will install it next week and take pics.

Am planning on buying a Lares reman PS pump but held off for now. I bought their reman steering box and it's all been good. They also have very good customer service.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should have a stock one already it's on the drivers side next to the radiator, just follow the power steering lines.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought yours was a nbs for some reason, you could probably retro fit a nbs one in there fairly easily
I looked at all the OBS pickups 2500, 3500 and they were all the same. I didn't think to look at the NBS. It's cheaper, almost identical size, but with the wrong hoses :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts