Power outlet panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to get to the rear of the power outlet panel on the dash of a 2000-2002 Yukon? I'm installing an aftermarket head unit and I want to install the outlet for the USB and 3.5 MM inputs where the lighter is now. I've had a number of GM vehicles over the years, so I kind of know how to get the lighter socket out, but I need to get to the rear of the panel to screw on the retaining ring of the new inputs. Thanks.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the easiest way to get to the rear of the power outlet panel on the dash of a 2000-2002 Yukon? I'm installing an aftermarket head unit and I want to install the outlet for the USB and 3.5 MM inputs where the lighter is now. I've had a number of GM vehicles over the years, so I kind of know how to get the lighter socket out, but I need to get to the rear of the panel to screw on the retaining ring of the new inputs. Thanks.
picture? been a while since I had mine either way you might be able to reach it with the radio and ac control out, or maybe pull the cupholder out and go in that way, depends

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
picture? been a while since I had mine either way you might be able to reach it with the radio and ac control out, or maybe pull the cupholder out and go in that way, depends
Mine is currently at the body shop for rust repair, but here's a picture I found of another. The door is missing. I've seen pictures of the dash with the radio and heater controls out and it appears there's a soiid plastic panel under the heater controls that prevents easy access. It looks like I might be able to remove the area of the console where the cassette deck is and reach up from there, but I figured that someone must have done this before and might know if that's possible or if there is an easier way.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try pulling the driver side knee bolster panel, see if you can get at them that way. Otherwise, the trim for the center console is just held in with a couple screws and clips. Doesn't take 5 min to pull out.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Well, in replacing the factory radio and redoing the bulbs in my HVAC system, I saw that there is actually a plastic cage that holds the radio and HVAC controls. It looks like it's held in with 4 screws, but that's deceptive. I took those 4 screws out to try and access the back of the power plugs on the dash, but no joy. The cage still seems like it's being held in by something. So, rather than chance breaking things, I think I'll just cut out the power port/lighter blank in the console interior and install the USB/3.5 mm plug there instead. I'm assuming it should be fairly easy using a hole saw.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, in replacing the factory radio and redoing the bulbs in my HVAC system, I saw that there is actually a plastic cage that holds the radio and HVAC controls. It looks like it's held in with 4 screws, but that's deceptive. I took those 4 screws out to try and access the back of the power plugs on the dash, but no joy. The cage still seems like it's being held in by something. So, rather than chance breaking things, I think I'll just cut out the power port/lighter blank in the console interior and install the USB/3.5 mm plug there instead. I'm assuming it should be fairly easy using a hole saw.
That cage is held with pop rivets. Either 2 or 4--it's been awhile since I've been in there. If you change that plastic cage to the 03-06 style that will allow you to install a double din radio.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
That cage is held with pop rivets. Either 2 or 4--it's been awhile since I've been in there. If you change that plastic cage to the 03-06 style that will allow you to install a double din radio.
Actually, I was able to install a short chassis double din JVC without modifying anything. I just got an aftermarket dash bezel made specifically for that purpose. I also just ended up drilling out the cut-out in the console to install the 3.5mm/USB combo plug for the radio. Overall, a pretty easy install.