Power Liftgate Grinding Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spectralen

Reaction score
2014 Suburban, my actuator seems to be hanging up on opening, and doesn’t do it every time. I put on new gas struts thinking the actuator needed them but that didn’t work.

I’m going to try and attach a short video of the problem so you can hear it. I took apart the actuator motor gear and clutch, it doesn’t look bad at all.https://www.facebook.com/share/v/JGJRgkvcoBWa7tX5/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hung up on the trim on the left side and makes a noise when opening. It’s the area around the strut.

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
Mine hung up on the trim on the left side and makes a noise when opening. It’s the area around the strut.
Interesting , I’m going to look closer at this.

Did yours sound and act like mine in the video?
How did you fix it?

Grady_Wilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help with your troubleshooting?

Attachments

• 2009-11-26_162051_power_lift_gate.pdf
    71.4 KB · Views: 7

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it acts just like that but to confirm look at the trim that goes around by the strut. When mine hangs up I can open it manually.

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
Yes, it acts just like that but to confirm look at the trim that goes around by the strut. When mine hangs up I can open it manually.
I disconnected the whole actuator and removed it until I figure out what the problem is, but keeping the model plugged in

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have a bad lift motor. While you're replacing that, might as well replace the tailgate struts, too. They're cheap. Stabilus brand from Rock Auto are like $12 a piece.

You might try replacing the struts first, to see if that might de-stress the lift motor enough so it doesn't skip teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshi101