2018 Suburban LT Liftgate problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My girl's landlord has a 2018 Suburban LT. The rear liftgate will open when you touch the inside of the rear handle but will not rise but can raise by hand and it stays up and when lifted all the way up and touch the button to close the liftgate, nothing happens but can push the liftgate down and it closes fine. The switch in the front overhead that controls the detent/severity of open and closing, says "Maximum" "3/4" and OFF, makes no difference on switch position whether it works or not. He also has a key fob control that does unlock it but again, it will not raise or lower by itself with the key fob. I looked at the fuse/relay panels under the hood and at each end of the dash and found nothing related. There is another fuse/relay panel at the very left rear behind a cover. Fuses are labeled as such: Liftgate.....Liftgate Module Logic and these 2 are 10 amp fuses and are good. There is a 30 amp larger fuse that is labeled for Liftgate Module and is good. There is a #8430 relay that is labeled just Liftgate and I found a matching relay to that and is in the engine compartment fuse/relay box and switched them with no help. When you lift the hatch or close it, you can hear the side struts winding up or down. I never do hear the lock actuator or motor working.

I looked on the internet and you tube but only found quick videos about if the rear hatch liftgate will not open at all or how to replace the side power struts. I decided to reach out here before I start removing covers and checking for power and ground.

Does anyone have info to share about this?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Suburban exhibited the exact same behavior last month. Fob and button did nothing, was able to still manually open and close. My online research pointed to the lock/actuator.

Being hesitant to throw too much money/parts into it, I bought the crappy Chinese knockoff for $73, instead of the genuine Delco part for $250.

I just replaced it last weekend and it's back to working as it should. So if the knockoff fails, I'll then spend the money for the good Delco unit.

Install was pretty simple, some of the fasteners are a bit fragile, but it took less than an hour. 1A Auto had the best video.

Not the exact same part for a 2018, but I'd wager it's the correct fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621_101248_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230621_101248_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230621_100028.jpg
    20230621_100028.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 7

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought those things had a motor in one of the lift struts? sounds like the lock actuator is working fine and the lift motor is not.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My Suburban exhibited the exact same behavior last month. Fob and button did nothing, was able to still manually open and close. My online research pointed to the lock/actuator.

Being hesitant to throw too much money/parts into it, I bought the crappy Chinese knockoff for $73, instead of the genuine Delco part for $250.

I just replaced it last weekend and it's back to working as it should. So if the knockoff fails, I'll then spend the money for the good Delco unit.

Install was pretty simple, some of the fasteners are a bit fragile, but it took less than an hour. 1A Auto had the best video.

Not the exact same part for a 2018, but I'd wager it's the correct fix.
Does the lock actuator trigger something in a motor that actually lifts and closes the liftgate? I would assume the lock actuator would do just that, lock and unlock. I am confused how that would then lift the liftgate? But, as you said about yours, the liftgate does unlock when you squeeze the button at the rear handle and does push away just a bit but then after that, everything is manual operation.

Can you post any links for the research you did? I look and all I see is parts replacement videos but nothing about diagnosing the problem. Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the lift motor separate or in the strut(s)?
pretty sure it is in one the struts I think left side, should look thicker than the right side
has some kind of corkscrew operation inside, I don't think it is serviceable and has to be replaced.
post it up in the k2 section "what did you do to your k2xxx today", people have replaced it before

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, I found out that the left side is the actual lift but still confused about the lock actuator assembly. It sounds like the lock actuator sends a signal to the lift and then that opens or closes. Do I have that right?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I found out that the left side is the actual lift but still confused about the lock actuator assembly. It sounds like the lock actuator sends a signal to the lift and then that opens or closes. Do I have that right?
maybe..... this is one of those times a advanced scanner is needed to confirm the problem. the k2's use GDS2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo