Post SSBC Brake Upgrade - Few Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yolo

MarkBarbee.com
Reaction score
i had the same problem after my 4 wheel SSBC install. The pedal was soft for a day even after hours of bleeding. The system will self bleed per the tech at SSBC and the tech I talked to at GM. My pedal had more response after a day or two. Now, I can stop on a dime.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the soft pedal should be addressed by additional bleeding. However, the shudder during normal breaking is a little concerning. Does it feel like the ABS is kicking in? With this kit, was there a requirement to adust any brake proportioning? With the same size rotors and caliper pistons front and rear, IMO the braking force is not balanced.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a way for GM to bleed your abs pump by commanding it to open via a TECH2..it definetly sounds like you have some air in there, I have their 14in. rotors with Hawk ceramic pads on my tahoe and stopping is way better than stock...even with 33" tires.

TREYR8D

Reaction score
I dont know if you have found a fix to this yet, but i'll give you my 2 cents from helping design a braking system for a mini baja car.

I dont know the exact piston size specs, but i'll make a few assumptions. since you're upgrading from a 2 piston system to a 3 piston system, you are essentially increasing the volume of the piston areas by 1.5 (assuming similar piston sizes), thus requiring more fluid to get the same amount of brake travel. Combine this with the fact that increasing fluid pressure area on the brake piston side while maintaining a constant master cylinder piston area (assuming you dont change master cylinder), you have an increase in your pressure force output vs. pressure force input ratio (example below).
These two effects combined can create a soft feeling in your brakes. you have to move the pedal further to account for the increase in volume on the brake pistons, and the increase in force ratio requires less force to create similar stopping power required for braking.

Simple Brake force calculations: Force/Area = Pressure
Foot Force into Pedal/Area of master cylinder piston = line pressure
Line Pressure * Combined Area of Brake Caliper Pistons = Braking force on Rotor
Braking Force on Rotor * Rotor Radius = Stopping Torque
Stopping Torque/Time = Stopping Power (HP)

there's some unit conversions involved. but basically, your increasing the combined area of brake caliper, thus increasing braking force. to modulate similar braking force (i.e. stopping similar to before), it requires less pedal force input.

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Knock on wood... everything seems to be okay now.
I think they got bedded in too hard initially. After driving on them for some time now the pulsing is gone and the wear pattern/color looks much better. Pedal feel is fine and stopping is fine now as well. I took a trip out to Colorado from Ohio a few weeks back with no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz