Post Burb Avalanche, recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NardDog

Reaction score
So my Burb is getting ready to be sold, my next truck is probably going to be an Avalanche but a used one. I dont drive very much since i work from home but I do take the boat out sometimes and would like to use the truck for camping and road trips occasionally. My 03 burb has the 5.3 without any of the fuel saving features of the later model engines and honestly I would like to avoid them If I can?? But really im wanting to see if anyone has any experience with multiple year models , whats good whats bad, if there’s any particular feature or factory add on that is a problem and should be avoided.

Whats the best year model in your opinion and why?

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what your desires are. 07-08 (maybe even 09) had the 6.0 as an option. If you want the newer 6 speed, stick 2010 up. I have an 08 and it has been an awesome vehicle. I do wish it had the 6 speed though. If I were in the market, I'd set my sights on a 12-13, simply because they are newest available models. They also had the option for the painted rear plastics (same as Escalade ext). If you aren't dead set on the avalanche, maybe check out the EXT for the awesome 6.2. Good luck with your search.

If they had continued to make them, I'd have bought another one instead of my Yukon in 2019. They are awesome vehicles.

Reaction score
So my Burb is getting ready to be sold, my next truck is probably going to be an Avalanche but a used one. I dont drive very much since i work from home but I do take the boat out sometimes and would like to use the truck for camping and road trips occasionally. My 03 burb has the 5.3 without any of the fuel saving features of the later model engines and honestly I would like to avoid them If I can?? But really im wanting to see if anyone has any experience with multiple year models , whats good whats bad, if there’s any particular feature or factory add on that is a problem and should be avoided.

It's been 9.5yrs since I went through my search. I was mostly looking for 2-3yr old vehicle with = < 30kmi white w/blk leather, sunroof, the 6sp trans, A/C seats, and Pwr Run Boards. I would've gone with the Cadi faster than you could say it had they offered it with a 4x2/4x4 switchabled option. I was leery of full time AWD in a vehicle this heavy, for gas mileage and for maintenance reasons. I found an '11 LTZ w/33k miles and bought it. The only other option that intrigued me was the Heated Steer Wheel which wasn't avail until 2012, but it can be retro-fit.

Do I wish I had the bigger engine? Of course! but not more than I didn't want full time AWD.

The 5.3 is more like the old school 327 than anything yet built and it can be made very lively for little money.. There's no towing difference to speak of

areas of concern: -JMBX Torque Converter.
-AFM/DOD/POS whatever acronym best fits here(I like POS)
-Expensive but EXCELLENT air suspensions
The 5.3 is very receptive to modifications.. May even be able to duplicate the stock numbers of the 6.2 for less than getting a 6.2??

edit: Also like @pwtr02ss said the '12 and '13's offered the body match painted panels in rear. It took me almost 3 days to get mine all off cleaned, prepped and painted....

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How's the search going? I like the looks of the Z71s with their fender flares myself, seems fitting for a truck made for playing in the outdoors.

OP
OP
NardDog

NardDog

Reaction score
Ive been looking at the 2009, mostly because I would like the newest one I can get with a 6.0. But with that said Inwould consider an older model with a 6l if one came available at a better price. Iam also not familiar with thw 6l80 E trans that came in 2009, wonder how these compare with the 4l60/80?