Possible e85problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recently purchased 03 z71 sub is e85 capable, and I’m curious? Should I give it a try or not? The truck has 200k on it is running well with no codes. I have never used the stuff and don’t even know where I can get it. Thoughts? Thanks

HD_LS

Reaction score
I think the ultimate is to have an e85 capable vehicle (for the extra ethanol resistance of all the fuel system components, and extra flow capacity), and then not use e85. :)

R422b

Reaction score
I think the ultimate is to have an e85 capable vehicle (for the extra ethanol resistance of all the fuel system components, and extra flow capacity), and then not use e85. :)
That's pretty much what I do. My 2002 Tahoe is the 85 capable and though I have used it once or twice out of curiosity I was not impressed and I did the cost per BTU math and figured out that gasoline is cheaper so I don't use it anymore. My understanding is that 85 in a stock engine will never pay off. The fuel cost more per BTU and you get poor efficiency from it so unless you have a vehicle that requires high octane fuel 85 is not worth it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wouldnt hurt to run a tank every now and then, it should clean some of the carbon deposits on the pistons and the valves...it burns much cleaner than gasoline and will give you a slight increase in performance...depending on what E85 costs in your area the price difference could offset the decrease in mileage, I run E85 exclusively in my truck and have never experienced any issues, I average about 13.7 mpg but its not an apples to apples comparison (my truck has a 6.0 swap, 11:1 compression, cam swap etc.)

R422b

Reaction score
wouldnt hurt to run a tank every now and then, it should clean some of the carbon deposits on the pistons and the valves...it burns much cleaner than gasoline and will give you a slight increase in performance...depending on what E85 costs in your area the price difference could offset the decrease in mileage, I run E85 exclusively in my truck and have never experienced any issues, I average about 13.7 mpg but its not an apples to apples comparison (my truck has a 6.0 swap, 11:1 compression, cam swap etc.)
That's where it pays off. With a modified engine. My Tahoe goes from 18 mpg to 12 mpg on e85 because it is stock and can't take advantage of the higher octane.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645