Possible e85problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Pretty sure that GM could claim 403hp on the L9H vs the L94 385hp in the early 07-08 Tahoe/Yukon was that they ran them on e85. On petroleum fuel they don’t behave the same.

It does wake up the motors on the NNBS trucks that can run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recently purchased 03 z71 sub is e85 capable, and I’m curious? Should I give it a try or not? The truck has 200k on it is running well with no codes. I have never used the stuff and don’t even know where I can get it. Thoughts? Thanks

Run it! But don't try a tank or two and go back to gas, you'll never notice the benefits as the alcohol content will be too low until about the 3rd or 4th tank and the drivetrain adapts to it.

Download the Gas Buddy app to your smart phone and then you can look around and see who carries E85 or E15 and possibly what the current prices are (only stay up for 48 hours).

One word of caution, your truck has an actual sensor to measure the alcohol content and they do go bad. I do not know if trigger a CEL when they fail. Check your shop manual or ask around.

My truck gets its best mileage and lowest operating cost when mixing gasoline and E85, between 16-22 percent or so. To get that, I pump aboard 6 gallons of E85 and 20 gallons of gasoline. If the station has E15, I'll pump about 3-4 gallons of E85 and the rest E15/88. Mind you, my tank is 31 gallons.

My engine is stock save for a gasoline tune, it runs on stock E85 tables.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the first time in 16.5 years of ownership, I've put more than one tank of e85 in consecutively. Need to pull my VXDIAG out and look at ethanol %, but it's noticeably peppier around town. I like. And since i've only put 1000 miles on it in a year due to WFH, not concerned about the MPG. :vroom:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck gets its best mileage and lowest operating cost when mixing gasoline and E85, between 16-22 percent or so. To get that, I pump aboard 6 gallons of E85 and 20 gallons of gasoline. If the station has E15, I'll pump about 3-4 gallons of E85 and the rest E15/88. Mind you, my tank is 31 gallons.

My engine is stock save for a gasoline tune, it runs on stock E85 tables.
One thing ive learned recently, to touch on your tune comment. There are modifiers in the flex fuel computers, not an actual " e85 tune". This surprised me but kinda makes sense.
To make it as easy as i can explain it, the flex sensor reads the alcohol in the fuel the adds fuel and timing to the GASOLINE tune to compensate for the added ethanol. So, having a gas tune gives you a slight e85 tune in a way

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing ive learned recently, to touch on your tune comment. There are modifiers in the flex fuel computers, not an actual " e85 tune". This surprised me but kinda makes sense.
To make it as easy as i can explain it, the flex sensor reads the alcohol in the fuel the adds fuel and timing to the GASOLINE tune to compensate for the added ethanol. So, having a gas tune gives you a slight e85 tune in a way

I didn't know that, thanks!

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run e85 a lot in my 2011 Denali and when doing the math when it comes to cost/mpg the e85 works out better for me

Charles Bradley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I do. My 2002 Tahoe is the 85 capable and though I have used it once or twice out of curiosity I was not impressed and I did the cost per BTU math and figured out that gasoline is cheaper so I don't use it anymore. My understanding is that 85 in a stock engine will never pay off. The fuel cost more per BTU and you get poor efficiency from it so unless you have a vehicle that requires high octane fuel 85 is not worth it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
I agree! I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 167000 mikes on it. I have only found one gas station that sells it in my area and sometimes that gas station is out of reach. The e85 runs out a lot faster then regular gasoline does so I no longer use it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts