Positive Junction Box on Radiator Shroud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoes-before-bros

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 98 Yukon and was given a 97 Tahoe 5.7L that has been messed with in terms of wires.
Can anyone tell me the specific function of this box in the picture? Is it just a junction for the battery, alternator and computer connections? Any electronics in it? The 97 Tahoe has been messed with. The box was removed and all the wires are going straight to the battery.

IMG_1870.jpg

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't look factory. My 96 doesn't have it. Could have been done to replace the factory connections from the battery?

OP
OP
H

hoes-before-bros

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's factory on the 98. I bought my 98 new.
The 97 has two holes on the shroud where the bracket should be.
I pried off the cover in my 98 and its a fusible link between the battery and alternator/computer.
Now I know what it is but don't know what they call it.
Is it safe not to have a fusible link between the battery and alternator/computer?
Thanks, Jim

BennyR72

Reaction score
It's factory on the 98. I bought my 98 new.
The 97 has two holes on the shroud where the bracket should be.
I pried off the cover in my 98 and its a fusible link between the battery and alternator/computer.
Now I know what it is but don't know what they call it.
Is it safe not to have a fusible link between the battery and alternator/computer?
Thanks, Jim

It's basically just a carrier for the fusible link that makes it easier to replace in the event that it goes bad. Ideally you should keep it, but you can always replace it with a regular inline fuse (50A I think) if you really want to get rid of the box. An inline fuse isn't quite as effective as a fusible link because the FL can handle very quick bursts of high amperage, while a regular inline would just blow, but both will offer the same amount of protection in regards to keeping your truck from melting.

It a pretty bad idea to go without the FI or an inline fuse being that the cost is next to non-existent vs the cost and hassle of frying your computer...or worse.