Please help. 2011 suburban rwd transmission revs for a second then instantly jerks when taking off from a stop sign.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburban2011

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My suburban runs fine all the way down the high and shifts through the gears smoothly. Only problem is when I come to a stop and try and take off it acts like it's in neutral for a split second then BOOM catches and goes. Like it's searching for 1st gear for a second. Please help!!!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suburban runs fine all the way down the high and shifts through the gears smoothly. Only problem is when I come to a stop and try and take off it acts like it's in neutral for a split second then BOOM catches and goes. Like it's searching for 1st gear for a second. Please help!!!
Any DTCs?

How long has this been happening?

Delayed engagement in drive/1st gear could be a few different things:

- TEHCM: Intermittent pressure switch fault, or outdated software
- IMS: intermittent fault
- VALVE BODY: 1-2 check ball getting stuck in separator plate or wearing down (when it wedges itself in the plate you will lose all forward movement)
- CASE: 1-2-3-4 piston beginning to crack
- CASE: Low sprag rolling over
- TC: torque converter failure

Put a bi-directional scanner on it and observe what commands are being issued and when and see if the transmission is reasponding. If shifts are being commanded as they should be but trans is not responding as it should then problem is mechanical (valve body, 1-2-3-4 piston, sprag).

At 210k on the clock, it's likely time for an overhaul.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I got 170k miles out of my 09 AWD trans with dirty fluid. It flat out failed before it gave any indication it was going into full blown DOA 3rd gear emergency breakdown mode at 70 on the highway.

With RWD your labor is going to be substantially less to have it replaced when that time comes. Start shopping for a rebuild or reman / exchange now so when it does happen it’s just a bummer vs a full blown catastrophe.

The going rate is $4-$5k for the job. The good news is there are some freebees you can get out of it since you know it’s down the road. Shop rock auto for motor mounts, oil pressure sensor and since they’re so inexpensive, front & rear Poly sway bar bushing kit.

With the truck up and apart those normally pricey labor jobs that are also due (at 100k mi) can be serviced before they expire and bite you just around the corner. The sway bar bushings are mostly to get the unnoticed slop out of your drivetrain.

Once R/A gives you the part # and pricing, you’ll have time to shop Amazon too. I did this when my trans was being rebuilt on our AWD and got about $2.5k savings from self sourcing OEM parts and the free labor. Only use OEM parts! Amazon is full of counterfeit “priced too good to be true” parts. Be careful. Being prepared will immediately reward you in your driving experience, bank account and down the road even more. Talk to a shop about having them rebuild one of their own cores for you after tax refund time. It’ll be a painless plug n play job with a set price.

jhous09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same problem coming to a stop in my 2011 tahoe. The transmission just got rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it. So I pulled it and had the guy go through it again. Just reinstalled it and it still seems to be going into neutral at a stop and will rev up a bit and go back into gear and drive fine. I am honestly a bit stumped.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem coming to a stop in my 2011 tahoe. The transmission just got rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it. So I pulled it and had the guy go through it again. Just reinstalled it and it still seems to be going into neutral at a stop and will rev up a bit and go back into gear and drive fine. I am honestly a bit stumped.
Have you had any luck getting this resolved?

Asking as I dont want to pose a bunch of questions or list a bunch of possible causes if it's been fixed already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts