Peeling Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IcePhreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting and I want to say there's a ton of information on the forum and you guys seem very helpful.
So, I just purchased a 2002 with 180k, the paint appears to peeling quite a bit, passenger rear door is missing about a foot square of paint, and its just getting worse, what can I do? Should I just have it painted, the roof is doing it as well but worse, starting to turn a wee bit rusty.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good paint job is probably more than what the truck is worth. You’re looking at anywhere from $4-6,000 for a good job. It’s up to you what you want to spend on it but there’s plenty of 02’s out there with perfect paint still.

OP
OP
IcePhreak

IcePhreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Think I should just attempt a rattle can then? Because mechanically this truck is sound, just those paint issues. Body panels are straight, motor and tranny are in great condition.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I should just attempt a rattle can then? Because mechanically this truck is sound, just those paint issues. Body panels are straight, motor and tranny are in great condition.
That’s up to you. It will continue to get worse. That’s one of those things you should estimate before buying a vehicle but you know what they say about hindsight. I learned a long time ago what paint costs and take that into consideration when looking at a purchase. The other thing you can do is learn to paint yourself. There’s a member here who did a pretty damn nice complete paint job in his garage. @Sevenevez is the man.

OP
OP
IcePhreak

IcePhreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I'm going to to this route, it appears its only the passenger right rear door, so hit up the wrecking yard find a nice clean white door, swap it, then since no one can see the roof, sand the rust spots and rattle can it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to to this route, it appears its only the passenger right rear door, so hit up the wrecking yard find a nice clean white door, swap it, then since no one can see the roof, sand the rust spots and rattle can it.
Sounds like a great idea. Maybe a cut and buff on everything but the roof after you swap the door so it blends good.

OP
OP
IcePhreak

IcePhreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. Maybe a cut and buff on everything but the roof after you swap the door so it blends good.
Yeah that's sounds good, worried cutting and buffing might make the paint come off somewhere else..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think of that. Maybe just see how well it matches up before deciding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518