PCV Valve 2008 xl 5.3 is it pressed in or how to remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johns2008

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my pcv valve is it pressed in so i need a valve cover also or what should i do

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its integral to the valve cover.

Tim
+1. And it's about a 20 minute job in the driveway with a cheap socket set to replace it.

What makes you think it needs replacing? I've seen people go 300K on these or more and never change it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my pcv valve is it pressed in so i need a valve cover also or what should i do

There is no valve. It's a fixed orifice. Since you're on this track, what you SHOULD be looking at is if your driver side valve cover is the updated one designed to reduce oil consumption. Unfortunately, other than having knowledge or documentation that it was updated, you'll have to remove the cover to see. It's not a difficult nor lengthy task, though. It is quite the worthy upgrade to have. While you're getting your hands dirty in the PCV system, install a catch can.

OP
OP
J

johns2008

Reaction score
there is a pcv valve nipple located on the valve cover, attached to a rubber hose, the nipple certainly looks like a pcv valve, and i can't pull it out by hand.

OP
OP
J

johns2008

Reaction score
+1. And it's about a 20 minute job in the driveway with a cheap socket set to replace it.

What makes you think it needs replacing? I've seen people go 300K on these or more and never change it.
I have 290,000 on it and i just replaced the oil pressure switch and the filter under it. So i am contemplating the pcv valve idea. only as a back yard mechanic so to say.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no valve. It's a fixed orifice. Since you're on this track, what you SHOULD be looking at is if your driver side valve cover is the updated one designed to reduce oil consumption. Unfortunately, other than having knowledge or documentation that it was updated, you'll have to remove the cover to see. It's not a difficult nor lengthy task, though. It is quite the worthy upgrade to have. While you're getting your hands dirty in the PCV system, install a catch can.
This ^^^

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok nearly a year after the OP but, I’m consuming oil, not seeing out the tailpipe and I have no leaks. Not in the coolant either.
I’m being told it’s the PCV. I can’t find a valve online anywhere, just replacement lines 4 to be exact from Rock Auto.

Also how do I know which “updated” valve cover looks like? Any pics of old vs updated.

Thanks

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pcv is built into the valve cover (baffling)
2007-08 = GM pt# 12570427
2009-2011 = GM pt# 12642655
Here are pics of old and new VC from/for my 2007 and the catch can I installed.

Yukon VCs.jpg
Catch can.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork