Passing gear issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a little issue with my trans when I get on the throttle on the highway. If I go to the floor with it say passing or merging onto the interstate, my truck will downshift, and rev really high, and immediately shift back up. Mind you this does not feel like a slip, it is pulling its just almost like it is dropping a gear too low and shifting back up. Forgot to add its a 2000 OBS z71, all factory with 3.73s, 33s, and 184k on original trans( so i think, got it with 90k and I haven't touched it except to check fluid, top off). I put a new TPS on it and it seemed to help a little, but no real improvement. May have just been a placebo effect, lol. I know I am running on borrowed time with an original 4L60E, but it shifts and pulls fine. Anyone got any ideas on it?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do sometimes go into too low of gear, it's annoying, but a good tuner can solve most of that problem.

99Vortec

Reaction score
If I go Wide Open Throttle while moving at about 35-40 MPH with mine, it will try to redline almost immediately if I am not careful.

I try to use just enough throttle to force the downshift without going WOT.

*edit* I do agree though, the programming does seem to want to drop down gearing too low under certain conditions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts