Part 1: center console delete.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave many driving lessons in a '94 Caprice wagon with front sofa.
A solid single front seat that only moved fore or aft.
(Obviously a benchable driver's seat with fold-down center seatback that doubles as armrest with storage, is preferred.)
That wagon got me so accustomed to lacking a center console, that I miss that freedom.

I want my center console GONE.

For now, step 1:
How do I get rid of the center console?
(It extends a bit into the back seat area with weak@$$ cupholders and useless audio stuff.)

(Anybody want a tan center console assembly from an '02 Tahoe in a few weeks?)

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the lid and start from the top and work your way down removing the inside "bucket" then any screws you see holding the console to the floor.

Should not be a hard job.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this also apply to the preposterously overhuge cassette player thing in front of the storage cubby?

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the lid and start from the top and work your way down removing the inside "bucket" then any screws you see holding the console to the floor.
Should not be a hard job.
Does this also apply to the preposterously overhuge cassette player thing in front of the storage cubby?
Or am I going to be stuck with a useless anachronism?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this also apply to the preposterously overhuge cassette player thing in front of the storage cubby?
Or am I going to be stuck with a useless anachronism?
I haven't seen how to do that kind, but I imagine it would all be removable. I am sure others have done that to replace or swap stuff out...

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Obviously a benchable driver's seat with fold-down center seatback that doubles as armrest with storage, is preferred.)
I'm kinda likin' mine on my '98. Have similar on my 95 Taurus wagon and the thing never goes up. It's always been down. Had buckets on several other cars and was never really fond of them.

Home built console type things that sit over the humps in front of the seats for doo-dad storage in the Taurus and now this one. Not fancy, but they do what I need.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hope is that I can install split/bench front seats from a Silvierrado pickup truck.
But even if my Tahoe can never have a split/bench front seat, I'll be glad to be rid of the center console.
Taking up all that real estate for so little storage? Not to mention I gave up on cassettes in '99.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hope is that I can install split/bench front seats from a Silvierrado pickup truck.
But even if my Tahoe can never have a split/bench front seat, I'll be glad to be rid of the center console.
Taking up all that real estate for so little storage? Not to mention I gave up on cassettes in '99.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S33k3r, I appreciate the good news.
May very well be able to give driving lessons in the Tahoe after all ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low