Parking brake light flashing when I push the parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MURDD0CK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey so I just got a 2002 Yukon. When I apply the parking brake the light flashes. Even when I’m parked. And the pedal just goes to the floor and doesn’t hold the truck at all. It’s just the brake light, and not the abs light. And the gear selector does show that I’m in park. Brake fluid is good, I checked and have no brake leaks. I’m sure the travel is due to low shoes, or a bad cable, but my main concern is why the light would flash. Any help appreciated! Thank you!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Colorado!

Parking brakes work on a cable/wire system, separate from the hydraulic brakes. You likely have misadjusted parking brake shoes (inside the rear rotor hat) or stretched/missing parking brake cables, or rusted out backing plates in the rear. Time for a deeper inspection.

OP
OP
M

MURDD0CK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Colorado!

Parking brakes work on a cable/wire system, separate from the hydraulic brakes. You likely have misadjusted parking brake shoes (inside the rear rotor hat) or stretched/missing parking brake cables, or rusted out backing plates in the rear. Time for a deeper inspection.
Will that cause the light to flash like that? I haven’t had the time to dig into the reason why my brake isn’t engaging, but I had assumed it was an adjustment/cable issue. Thank you for the response!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will that cause the light to flash like that? I haven’t had the time to dig into the reason why my brake isn’t engaging, but I had assumed it was an adjustment/cable issue. Thank you for the response!
could be the metal contact that engages when the parking brake is pressed, you could try hitting it with a small piece of sandpaper, contact cleaner or whatever you can get in there to freshen up the metal contact surface, that is what turns the parking brake lamp on in the cluster. OR the lamp can illuminate IF a seperate issue is detected like low fluid or stuck prop valve or bad master cylinder but neither of those cases would be from the parking brake.
there is nothing inherent to the system that would make the brake light "flash" so it has to be electrical with the exception being if maybe the fluid level sensor was going goofy and going back-n-forth showing low fluid/normal, if that was the case simply unplugging it would tell you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo