Park assist sensors-FIXED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since I have done some more research about hearing the pulses from the sensors, could you theoretically use a "mechanic's stethoscope" to hear those pulses?

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, the customer/friend just left and I had the failed/bad left outer sensor diagnosed in 30 seconds. He turned key on and put it in reverse and I listened to all four and the three that still worked had a distinct Geiger Counter noise and the bad one was dead silent. I was gonna use an app that reads decibel levels, that I saw a few times on you tube, but I just used my mechanic's stethoscope and used the nose cone adaptor and held it over the sensor and the noise was there. Very easy to detect.

20230218_151231.jpg

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the customer/friend just left and I had the failed/bad left outer sensor diagnosed in 30 seconds. He turned key on and put it in reverse and I listened to all four and the three that still worked had a distinct Geiger Counter noise and the bad one was dead silent. I was gonna use an app that reads decibel levels, that I saw a few times on you tube, but I just used my mechanic's stethoscope and used the nose cone adaptor and held it over the sensor and the noise was there. Very easy to detect.

View attachment 392408
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Follow up to let us know if replacing that sensor fixes the issue.

I dread something like this failing on my 2015. Kind of like why you love your 05. Simple, reliable , and minimal electronics to diagnose.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Follow up to let us know if replacing that sensor fixes the issue.

I dread something like this failing on my 2015. Kind of like why you love your 05. Simple, reliable , and minimal electronics to diagnose.
All info I looked up said the outer two sensors were easy to pop out and in. It has a 3 wire plug in. 12 volt power, ground and signal to control unit. Easy peasy.

!I had no faith in the decibel reading app thru the microphone on my phone. I just thought of the mechanic's stethoscope idea today. Worked like a champ!

The customer/friend is hard of hearing but his girlfriend has no hearing problems. She put on the stethoscope and I walked her down the line of all 4 sensors and she was amazed that she heard the pulse noise from the three that were good and dead silence from the bad sensor. He did not want to pay the $163 fee for the GM one at RA so I had a choice of either Dorman, Standard or Bosch. I opted for the Bosch. $24.79, -$1.24 5% discount code, $4.99 shipping and total was $28.54. He was happy with that for sure. With my labor fee at $60 an hour, he should be out the door for less than $90.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to update this problem fix. Part came in and customer showed for work. Looked under there and there was a cross piece of metal at end of frame horns that covered all 4 sensors. My easy peasy access was no longer that way. Looked at you tube. Couple of screws in wheel well and a push pin and 4 screws across the top of the rear bumper cover and 2 more push pins and two 10mm bolts under the bottom edge and then a quick sideways pull at the left side of bumper cover corner and the cover pulled away. A quick unplug at the sensor, two clips holding sensor in place and reverse removal procedure and it was all working as supposed to be and his warning light was out and I could hear the pulse noise at the new sensor. $28.54 for the sensor and $40 labor and he was happy. I hope I get to replace every sensor on the NNBS Tahoe's and Yukon's in the area because the procedure for diagnosis and install is real easy.

In this instance, using a Tech 2 would have found the failed sensor, my method was way quicker. Less than 1 minute and failed sensor was found. Takes longer than that just to get the Tech 2 out and hooked up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts