Parasitic Draw Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
Ok, well that makes sense. As soon as you hook up the meter in between the battery and disconnected cable, it’s going to pull 4.5A no matter how long you let it sit, because all the computers are starting up for the first time. Then all the computers start to go to sleep and the amps should drop to .0 something. Seems like my amps would drop after about 3 min. Can you pull the relays for the lights and horn and then test?
I can give that a try, thanks for the suggestions.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
So it was still pulling 4.5A with the meter still hooked up all night? If so, can you start pulling fuses at that point and tell when the amps drop?
Well that was a hoot. Instead of holding the leads with my hands, I decided to clamp down the negative terminal and place into the negative cable. I must have made a much nicer connection because it didn't start the alarm.

4.5A pops up as usual and within 30 seconds the amps dropped significantly. After a few minutes, it bounced around 0.050 and 0.062

So I guess I don't have a parasitic draw.
I don't know why the battery dies so quickly, as in I can't be at the gas station filling up with the car off, radio on and charging a cell phone without the car dying. Despite what the dealership told me and Advance Auto, I probably need a new battery. I'm thinking AGM Diehard
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your not sure how old the battery is for sure. I don't trust advanced auto that much either with the meter they use. I would just pick up a new battery and you should be fine, .05 Ma is fine for a draw on these new cars/trucks. You also dont really need an AGM battery, stock replacement would be fine,

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
It sounds like your not sure how old the battery is for sure. I don't trust advanced auto that much either with the meter they use. I would just pick up a new battery and you should be fine, .05 Ma is fine for a draw on these new cars/trucks. You also dont really need an AGM battery, stock replacement would be fine,
I bought the Yukon last year, according to service records, the battery was replaced less than a year prior.

Each time I test drove the Yukon, it needed to be jumped.

The battery at most is between 1.5 and 2 years old.
However, I told the GMC dealer I'll only buy the truck if they put in a new battery. Since they were the servicing dealer and the battery was still under warranty, they said no problem.

Knowing how scummy dealers are, I suspect they ran a diagnostic, battery came back fine, and they wouldn't be able to warranty the battery. Instead of really putting in a new battery, they probably threw it on a charger and figured lying to me was easier.

Perhaps an AGM is not needed, but I've run them for close to 20 years (damn :( ) and an extra $65-$75 isn't going to kill me

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Battery testers vary a lot. Some use a small DC pulse to check resistance and extrapolate from there. Others put a large load on the battery and measure directly. The former can give a lot of false info.

Measured at the battery, what's your charge voltage? Battery voltage after just shutting off the car? And battery voltage after sitting for an hour? What's battery voltage when you attempt to crank it?

When you jump it, where are you attaching the leads?

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
Battery testers vary a lot. Some use a small DC pulse to check resistance and extrapolate from there. Others put a large load on the battery and measure directly. The former can give a lot of false info.

Measured at the battery, what's your charge voltage? Battery voltage after just shutting off the car? And battery voltage after sitting for an hour? What's battery voltage when you attempt to crank it?

When you jump it, where are you attaching the leads?
When jumping I use a jump pack (great purchase, saved me lots of headaches). I connect the positive direct to the positive terminal and the negative to the bolt coming off the block

I haven't measured battery, but here is what Advance Auto printed out for me
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
just my opinion, i would absolutely replace the battery cables, inspect the **** fuse mounted on the firewall near the battery area and run a new ground wire/cable directly from the alternator case/mount to the negative post on the battery. it seems like alot but the fact that your battery has absolutely no reserve amps imo indicates an in sufficient charge to the battery. i would not throw a high end battery in that environment without finding out whats wrong with the charging system. also if your truck has RVC replace the current/temp module that is attached to the negative bat cable near the battery, Ebay $20.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
just my opinion, i would absolutely replace the battery cables, inspect the **** fuse mounted on the firewall near the battery area and run a new ground wire/cable directly from the alternator case/mount to the negative post on the battery. it seems like alot but the fact that your battery has absolutely no reserve amps imo indicates an in sufficient charge to the battery. i would not throw a high end battery in that environment without finding out whats wrong with the charging system. also if your truck has RVC replace the current/temp module that is attached to the negative bat cable near the battery, Ebay $20.
What is RVC?

What should I be looking for on the **** fuse?

Do you happen to know the part #s I should be looking for?
Are there three cables to replace?
Part #:25814777 Positive; Except Auxiliary Camper Battery (TP2); Provisions 12 Volt Power (9L4)
Part #:25875320 Starter Cable
Part #22846471 Negative; Except Provisions 12 Volt Power (9L4)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
I probably should note that the previous owner replaced the alternator. I forgot the date based on the Carfax report, but it was fairly recent

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amps dropping falls in line with what my Denali does. I did experience the alarm going off as well a couple times trying to keep the clips on the battery. I suspected you weren't getting a good connection all the time and caused the alarm to go off, but hard to tell over the internet. I've also had the same problems with the battery when my car was new. Dealer tested the battery while under warranty and it was good, auto parts tested it ok and I always had problems with it dyeing really easy. I replaced the battery and that solved all my problems. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf

Latest posts