Par for the Course

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son is taking a long road trip so he took the wife's new explorer and I am driving the Yukon. His new car should be delivered early November so I was doing one last round of fluid changes last night before she goes off to someone else. Lo and behold, the ac blower resistor died. I guess it didn't want me to get bored and not have anything to do.

My question, if you were changing a resistor out for the second time, would you change the wiring harness out as well? This is the new style and I have already changed it once a few years ago.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son is taking a long road trip so he took the wife's new explorer and I am driving the Yukon. His new car should be delivered early November so I was doing one last round of fluid changes last night before she goes off to someone else. Lo and behold, the ac blower resistor died. I guess it didn't want me to get bored and not have anything to do.

My question, if you were changing a resistor out for the second time, would you change the wiring harness out as well? This is the new style and I have already changed it once a few years ago.
depends, if it is burnt looking, brittle, etc then yes for sure
if it is still good shape then no.
either way be sure to pull out the plug at the blower motor also and check that one if it is burnt also I would replace the blower motor and the connector as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my build thread you can see the new resistor I changed and the new harness that was recommended for it. Pretty straight forward and no guess work as to whether it will work correctly. If you want the part number, let me know and I will go thru my receipts and find it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends, if it is burnt looking, brittle, etc then yes for sure
if it is still good shape then no.
either way be sure to pull out the plug at the blower motor also and check that one if it is burnt also I would replace the blower motor and the connector as well.
The blower motor plug is a part of the blower motor resistor and its 2 wires are sealed into the resistor assembly. Atleast they have been for all the ones that ive gotten.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blower motor plug is a part of the blower motor resistor and its 2 wires are sealed into the resistor assembly. Atleast they have been for all the ones that ive gotten.
sounds correct I had a issue recently with 2 trucks that both needed new blower motors and the connector, I just grabbed a couple from the junkyard and repined them, pretty sure I just cut them off of other resistors

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds correct I had a issue recently with 2 trucks that both needed new blower motors and the connector, I just grabbed a couple from the junkyard and repined them, pretty sure I just cut them off of other resistors
When I got my 05 Denali the resistor was shorted and eventually the blower motor was locked up tighter than a whistle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo