Painting your bow tie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here’s a link to an excellent write up on how to paint your grille bow tie from the back. I really like the look when painted this way. It has a depth and an OEM look to it.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94524

Now I’ll also add how not to do it. I live in a small town, one grocery store. They only had the no fumes kind of oven cleaner but it said heavy duty and I was impatient so I bought it. BIG mistake. It removed some of the stuff from the back but not all, and it was slow. Once again I got impatient and decided to use nail polish remover. Yeah, I knew better but did it anyway, BIG mistake again. Still didn’t do the job so, once again, knowing better, I tried something else, I think carb. cleaner if I recall. Another BIG mistake. I got all of the gold off the back but it still left some of the black on the edge/border. I decided I like this so I masked the front and the back leaving just the border showing and painted the edge black. If you compare my pics to the pics in the link you’ll see the black border I’m talking about. When that dried I removed the tape from the back and painted the back red. When it had dried and I removed the tape from the front it was clouded badly from all the chemicals I’d thrown at it. In case you’re an idiot like I was, this can be saved. First I sanded with 2000 wet/dry. Then I polished with 0000 steel wool. Next, I polished it with Meguiar’s Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, a wool bonnet, and my random orbit buffer. Next I used Meguiar’s Deep Crystal System Step #2 Polish and the buffer. I might have finished it off with a coat of Meguiar’s Gold Class wax, I don’t quite remember. As you can see from the pics, I salvaged the bow tie and it actually turned out pretty good, but do it right the first time and you won’t have the hassle.

I’ve always wondered what it would look like if you stenciled the initial or logo from your favorite college on first then painted the whole thing.

Also, somebody posted up once where they tried this with a bow tie that was badly cracked. It fell apart when they tried to pry off the back. Mine had a little rock chip and crack in it so I was okay, but if you have cracks running all the way through you might want to think twice.

Attachments

• grill1.JPG
    grill1.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
  • grill2.JPG
    grill2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 39
  • grill3.JPG
    grill3.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Josh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Painted mine last fall, front and back. Front came out good, the back one I could still see some red so I ordered a overlay sticker and put it on and I think it looks good.
Spring08003.jpg
Spring08001.jpg
Spring08005.jpg
Denali016.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos