Painting interior panels - problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karlus

Reaction score
I am trying to paint the grey interior panels a black color. I have tried everything, but paint won't stick.

I rough up the surface with some 240 grit. Use paint adhesive and then duplicolor black vinyl paint. Scrapes off easily.

Same thing, with Enamel...scrapes off. Seems like that plastic is some kinda greasy that does not let paint adhere.

Maybe dying it somehow?

Has anyone else faced this challenge?

OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Here is the latest step I am trying:

Sanded down all of the "elephant skin" from the plastic. 80, 220 then 320 wet.

I am trying the Bulldog adhesive, then Duplicolor sandable filler primer

Next I will do Enamel color several coats and then the clear coat.

Im testing on a small piece to see results before tackling all of the other parts

OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Maybe I am doing it too fast and not letting things cure enough, but the paint easily scratches showing primer. Its simply not durable and not "bonding" with the plastic or primer.

I tried wet sanding the clear after a about an hour, but perhaps this needs to cure a lot longer...

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Maybe I am doing it too fast and not letting things cure enough, but the paint easily scratches showing primer. Its simply not durable and not "bonding" with the plastic or primer.

I tried wet sanding the clear after a about an hour, but perhaps this needs to cure a lot longer...
Def let it cure at least overnight. Needs to be somewhat warm temps too to get a good cure.

OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Yes, Im trying to paint the plastic parts like the door pillars and the rear wheel covers. That plastic does not seem to like duplicolor very much.

I have sanded down my console pieces, used the bulldog adhesive, primered and painted....the clear is going on this week. Lets see if that works.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to paint the grey interior panels a black color. I have tried everything, but paint won't stick.

I rough up the surface with some 240 grit. Use paint adhesive and then duplicolor black vinyl paint. Scrapes off easily.

Same thing, with Enamel...scrapes off. Seems like that plastic is some kinda greasy that does not let paint adhere.

Maybe dying it somehow?

Has anyone else faced this challenge?
these types of plastic off gas and oily

OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Yeah, I think oily was the issue. Sanding them down seems to get a better surface to work with. The other issue is the plastic is soft, so its easy to scratch paint that tries to adhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne