Painting interior panels - problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, why are you sanding it? Are you trying to make the surfaces smooth instead of leaving the texture? All I’ve ever used is scotchbrite and either alcohol or lacquer thinner unless I wanted to remove texture. Also, what are you using to clean and prep the surface? I always use Dawn dish soap, let it dry, then use denatured alcohol, then dry wipe with a micro fiber cloth to remove any contaminants. Then adhesion promoter and a paint meant for plastic, I like Krylon Fusion. I have used this method on nearly an entire interior and plenty of exterior pieces. Never an issue, and it’s lasted for years so far.

OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Im trying to remove the surface texture. The stuff that looks like elephant skin. It seems like there is some sort of slick surface on these panels that does not come off with soap or even paint prep spray. When I sand it down then it gets closer to what looks like regular plastic. I had luck sanding down all of my console plastic parts and the paint appears to be adhering to it far better than just using Duplicolor Vinyl.

Believe me, I would prefer not to sand everything down, it's a ton of work. I already have sprayed all of my interior panels black, but the paint is not adhering well, so I think I have to sand the paint off regardless.

I think my question now is can I just sand it with 280, wash, use Bulldog paint adhesive then the Duplicolor vinyl or go all the way with 280, 400, 800 and primer like I did with the console pieces.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s up to you, depends on how perfect you want it. The paint will stick fine if you just use 280, but there will be visible scratches. That’s the price you pay to remove the texture, you end up sanding and sanding. I don’t care for that look for the dash pieces and other panels myself, I like the texture. The smooth pieces have their place imo like the switch panels, console pieces, etc. Post up more pics when you get things where you like them.
FYI it’s the same plastic through and through, the texture is the same material as what’s there after you sand it off. It’s molded, it’s not a second coat that they apply after they make the pieces. There are no “layers” except on the wood trim or brushed metal over the smooth pieces- those are a micro thin layer. You can remove the fake wood grain with scotchbrite and lacquer thinner but the brushed metal can’t be removed easily at all except peeling which is slow as hell and I wouldn’t try anything bigger that a switch panel.

Edit: you can remove your previously applied paint with lacquer thinner and scotchbrite but no matter what you do, it’s gonna be a lot of work to remove. Sanding it off and then smoothing the panels will be way more work than just removing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Yeah, good advice. I think I will try the thinner and scotchbrite. This project is going on so long already....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good advice. I think I will try the thinner and scotchbrite. This project is going on so long already....
Just be prepared with lots of rags and at least a gallon of lacquer thinner.

setconstr

Reaction score
I just did a few panels and my Dash ( 05 Tahoe ) . What I did was pressure wash the parts which took 90% of the oem paint off then I bought the SEM line of rattle cans they carry GM colors and prep , adhesion promoter , and clear ( that was the hard choice ) I got the satin clear and didn't like that finish so I just sprayed the low luster clear over that pretty Happy with the results

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I just did a few panels and my Dash ( 05 Tahoe ) . What I did was pressure wash the parts which took 90% of the oem paint off then I bought the SEM line of rattle cans they carry GM colors and prep , adhesion promoter , and clear ( that was the hard choice ) I got the satin clear and didn't like that finish so I just sprayed the low luster clear over that pretty Happy with the results
How long since its been on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts