painted Denali grille question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

ebxgsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another question......i've been searching & it looks like there are 2 shades of black. the matte black (part # 11203) and black (part # 11203-6).....what have you guys used?

OP
OP
E

ebxgsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this kinda sucks. seems like i keep getting the run around. other people all say, any good body shop should be able to have the ability to paint the grille, but any body shop i call local to me tells me no.....lol. i can't win.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge there is only one shade of black PD and it has a matte finish. I've seen many painted to match grilles on here so it can be done. However, I do not know how well they hold up. I painted mine first with a rattle can in the GM factory black. Just sanded it down really well, used adhesion promoter, primer, paint then clear. Within a month it had chips. Looked really good for that month lol

Last edited:

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for those of you with Denali's & have the grille painted....what kind of prep work did you do? i've checked with 2 body shops that declined the work. they said that in order to paint it correctly, they would have to sand down all the fake chrome. is that what you guys did? i want the grille to look good, although im not going to be bringing the truck to any shows or anything like that.

i had already purchased a brand new grille off my local craigslist, so if i have to take my time & try to sand it down myself, then that's what i'll do. i just wanted to get some feedback from those of you that did paint your grilles.

yes you can paint the grill here is what you got to do
1) get you some 220 sand paper and sand the chrome off till you see the copper come thru
2) get some self etching primer spray a few coats and wet sand with 320 till you are happy with the way it looks
3) now get you some high build primer to fill any imperfections then wet sand with 320 until you are happy with the way it looks then if you want you can finish it off with 400 grit
4) now you can paint 3 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear and that should hold out pretty good mine still looking good after like 1200 miles

Last edited:

bigbird189

Reaction score
601a2402-b4b6-3ce1.jpg

Here ya go. Plasti dipped grille. They sell a "glossifier" but I haven't tried it yet. However I have two cans on the way so I will give you an update when I throw it on.

I was wondering if you had an update? Also what sand paper did you use and and how many cans of plasti dip did you use also the amount of the gloss?

I am about to do my grille just curious the final results look like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall