P0315

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening, so I replaced my ecm and now I’m getting a p0315 code, (crankshaft position system variation not learned) now I’ve seen videos on how to do this but most of them are in a different language, also it seems like a tech 2 is needed which is needed. Is there a way to do this without a tech 2 or should I try and find a shop to do this easy procedure…..also what u guys think this might cost to get this done? It seemed to take less than 8 mins to do

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They shop rate is 1.4 hours to replace the sensor and do the relearn so I would imagine that most shops would not charge more than 1/2 of the job to do it. You need a Tech-2 George!

OP
OP
George Owens

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They shop rate is 1.4 hours to replace the sensor and do the relearn so I would imagine that most shops would not charge more than 1/2 of the job to do it. You need a Tech-2 George!
I went to a shop today and they tried to tell me they got to take this off and that off, I told them I just need the relearn procedure done, I even showed them the instructions on how to do it. Eventually I told them to get out my car cause they really try to play me like I didn’t know anything. I guess I have to look around for a reputable shop with a tech 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to a shop today and they tried to tell me they got to take this off and that off, I told them I just need the relearn procedure done, I even showed them the instructions on how to do it. Eventually I told them to get out my car cause they really try to play me like I didn’t know anything. I guess I have to look around for a reputable shop with a tech 2
ya it's pretty easy just set the parking brake and follow the instructions on the tech2, rev it once as instructed, done.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Tech 2 owners thread to see if anyone is near you? What part of the country?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SUPPOSEDLY, it can be done without a Tech2 or bi-directional scan tool. I don't know where one would find a place to perform this, though:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.
  2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.
  3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.
  4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.
  5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.
  6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.
  7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed.

I think .5 hours at a shop is fair. Tell 'em you need a CASE relearn. A high-end bi-directional scan tool, which any reputable shop will have, will do it. You don't necessarily have to have a Tech2.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark and avoid those thieves! You'll probably be in and out at the dealer and won't have to worry about thieves or wasting your precious free time.