P0300 random misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anusface69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I am having issues with a 2005 Tahoe 5.3. The truck starts and runs fine for a few minutes and then out of the blue it will throw p0300 and randomly misfire. The truck will misfire for a few minutes and then run perfectly fine after.
If I watch the misfires I’m live data when this occurs, it shows cylinders 2 and 7 misfiring. When the misfire counter resets, it will show misfires on 3 and 6.
It’s strange that the misfire randomly jumps to other cylinders, and ones on opposing banks.
I’ve smoke tested for vacuum leaks, done ckp variation relearn, the truck has new plugs, wires, coils, injectors. Could it be pcm failure? Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be faulty crankshaft position sensor or PCM but I'd lean more towards the sensor. Maybe the sensor acts up when it gets warm? Since you have the ability to perform a CKP relearn, try a new sensor. Don't cheap out- get OE!

Have you ever watched the RPM on your scan tool? If the sensor is faulty, it's "misses" might be too short for the tach on the dash to show a response. Your scan tool would probably not have enough resolution as well. But, if you see a blip of low or no RPM, then that would help to confirm. Looked at any of the freeze frames for any of your DTCs?

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Hello. I am having issues with a 2005 Tahoe 5.3. The truck starts and runs fine for a few minutes and then out of the blue it will throw p0300 and randomly misfire. The truck will misfire for a few minutes and then run perfectly fine after.
If I watch the misfires I’m live data when this occurs, it shows cylinders 2 and 7 misfiring. When the misfire counter resets, it will show misfires on 3 and 6.
It’s strange that the misfire randomly jumps to other cylinders, and ones on opposing banks.
I’ve smoke tested for vacuum leaks, done ckp variation relearn, the truck has new plugs, wires, coils, injectors. Could it be pcm failure? Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I was having a similar issue in cold weather. Truck would start, run about 1 min then cough, sputter and throw codes for a few minutes and then smooth out. It was only cold start, and went away once engine warmed. For me I traced it to the intake manifold gaskets. Always got P0300, but had lean bank codes as well.

I know you said you smoke checked for vacuum leaks, just a thought.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do your short- and long-term fuel trims look like? Might check both at idle and 1500-2000 rpm.

OP
OP
A

Anusface69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What do your short- and long-term fuel trims look like? Might check both at idle and 1500-2000 rpm.
I forget what they were off the top of my head but I know they were higher on one bank than the other, I’m assuming cause the manifolds held on by like 2 bolts

OP
OP
A

Anusface69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forget what they were off the top of my head but I know they were higher on one bank than the other, I’m assuming cause the manifolds held on by like 2 bolts
If theyre off what would you suggest,? I’m an Audi mechanic and never seen this before

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on which way and how far they were off, if they're adding fuel (positive), or taking it away (negative). More than 10% total (LT+ST, same bank) or a distinct imbalance between banks can be an issue. Suggest getting the manifold bolts in place with good gaskets and ARP bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts