Out of Ca state purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I found, you will not have a problem (other than paying CA taxes, fees, etc.) as long as it has never been registered. Are they transferring it to a dealership here?
No they’re delivering it to my front door. I already paid the transportation fee.
The only trouble I had was getting all the paperwork together to do this and I have to go to the DMV to pay the registration and sales tax and all that.
I already started the paperwork to get it registered and it’s still in Texas they should be getting their money soon and it should be shipped pretty soon. I just hope it only takes a couple days to get here.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I ask how you found it? I look thru true car, the gm site and a couple other places without much luck
I found it through the GMC site. I built and priced my vehicle, and I searched inventory — I search within 2000 miles of me I looked out of state and it was 1300 miles away from me. I had found two others that were 100 miles closer and I contacted that one first, both of those were sold and they were premium package - everything I was looking for. So I tried one more place and they had it and I was so lucky because it was still on the truck it wasn’t at the dealership yet.

unfortunately you’re just gonna have to keep trying and calling dealerships. I looked around for a couple months before I finally found this one. I had an order in April and towards the end of May I think that’s when I really started looking to see if there’s anything else out there. And there are dealerships out there that exist that do not charge over MSRP. Those are definitely the ones I would rather do business with.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think GM site is your best bet. Expand search and May need to add different zip codes. I added a zip from a family member in CO and I’m in the west coast. I found one in IA but couldn’t reach a deal. I was willing to fly over there and drive back. Even got a quote and having it shipped to me for about $1200.
You are so lucky I’m getting one in Texas that’s only 1300 miles away give or take and they’re charging me $2300 to ship it. Ugh! But I have been looking for so long and since they honored the supplier pricing I wasn’t gonna argue with the shipping costs. So far everything has worked out to be around the price and everything I expected it to be, and my monthly payments.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I found, you will not have a problem (other than paying CA taxes, fees, etc.) as long as it has never been registered. Are they transferring it to a dealership here?
I forgot to add, boy I will never buy out of state again! it’s just a hassle. It took a little longer to get my car sold to Carvana because the closest appointment time they had was yesterday.

Then where I’m financing said oh it’s a 72 hour process time to do the application and get the checks sent out and all that. I’m like “wait, what?!!” I was never told this on the phone when I spoke to you guys and even though I put a $3000 down on this vehicle I know my sales guy is fighting other salespeople to sell it!

So I was lucky that they listen to me and got that processed today actually and so everything should be taken care of. During that whole process they sent me the wrong documents twice before finally sending me the right documents with only 20 minutes to spare to fill them out and get them sent in before the cut off ended for today. But I swear my hair turned white and I’m pretty sure I lost a bunch of it. Lol.

Plus it’s like this dealership never sold out of state before. I get everything done, let my sales guy know the check is on its way now; they say they want a letter stating to the fact that I’m going to be registering the car in California and I’m gonna be paying the sales tax and all that. That doesn’t make any sense tbh, because usually it’s “here’s your check, ship the car now you’re done with it.” Type thing. Ugh, it’s such a hassle. So I had sent them proof that California DMV has been notified that this vehicle is coming and it has been sold to me and it will be registered in my name at my address in California.

never in my life would I have ever thought that going to the DMV to register the vehicle from out of state, is less of a hassle than buying a vehicle from out of state. Lol.

I do not recommend it.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, boy I will never buy out of state again! it’s just a hassle. It took a little longer to get my car sold to Carvana because the closest appointment time they had was yesterday.

Then where I’m financing said oh it’s a 72 hour process time to do the application and get the checks sent out and all that. I’m like “wait, what?!!” I was never told this on the phone when I spoke to you guys and even though I put a $3000 down on this vehicle I know my sales guy is fighting other salespeople to sell it!

So I was lucky that they listen to me and got that processed today actually and so everything should be taken care of. During that whole process they sent me the wrong documents twice before finally sending me the right documents with only 20 minutes to spare to fill them out and get them sent in before the cut off ended for today. But I swear my hair turned white and I’m pretty sure I lost a bunch of it. Lol.

Plus it’s like this dealership never sold out of state before. I get everything done, let my sales guy know the check is on its way now; they say they want a letter stating to the fact that I’m going to be registering the car in California and I’m gonna be paying the sales tax and all that. That doesn’t make any sense tbh, because usually it’s “here’s your check, ship the car now you’re done with it.” Type thing. Ugh, it’s such a hassle. So I had sent them proof that California DMV has been notified that this vehicle is coming and it has been sold to me and it will be registered in my name at my address in California.

never in my life would I have ever thought that going to the DMV to register the vehicle from out of state, is less of a hassle than buying a vehicle from out of state. Lol.

I do not recommend it.
Nice, I was considering selling my previous ride on Carvana and Vroom. Vroom offered me the most but wouldn’t pay me on the spot > would take my ride and mail me check 3 days later. I was like : Nope. Carvana from what I read paid on the spot? Not sure tho so I went with Carmax. That alone was a nightmare and an all day thing after 4 visits. Everything right now is a hot mess…

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I was considering selling my previous ride on Carvana and Vroom. Vroom offered me the most but wouldn’t pay me on the spot > would take my ride and mail me check 3 days later. I was like : Nope. Carvana from what I read paid on the spot? Not sure tho so I went with Carmax. That alone was a nightmare and an all day thing after 4 visits. Everything right now is a hot mess…
My appointment was at 3 PM my advisor ran late due to traffic. However after she was done taking the pictures on my car she initiated payment right then. I got a email right away saying payment initiated, later that night saying my payment was processed and it took another several hours for it to show up in the account. I advise direct deposit only because if you get a check depending upon how large is the bank will hold it for 7 to 10 days.

I don’t like Vroom because they take your car and then decide what to pay you after they see it and go over it at their site, and if you don’t like it you have to pay for transportation to get it back.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know thx. I’ll try Carvana next time.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for out of state purchase to CA, here is what I learned:

The DMV will need the following:
1. Certificate of Origin
2. Copy of the sales contract
3. Smog Certificate - you will need to take the car to get smogged and the shop will look at you as if you just landed from Mars
4. A weight certificate, use a public scale. I think I paid like $15
5. Sales tax and registration fees - in my case the dealership did not calculate correctly and was a bit short, so I had to write another check to the DMV to cover the outstanding cost.
6. THe vehicle will need to be inspected, there are 2 ways to do this, you can take the vehicle to the DMV and they can do the inspection or you can take the vehicle to a CHP office and they can do the inspection.
7. Just a little note, the dealership sent all my paperwork to my local DMV.

I think that covers it. I learned a lot last year when I bought my Ram from WA and I vowed that I would never do that again! LOL

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You are so lucky I’m getting one in Texas that’s only 1300 miles away give or take and they’re charging me $2300 to ship it. Ugh! But I have been looking for so long and since they honored the supplier pricing I wasn’t gonna argue with the shipping costs. So far everything has worked out to be around the price and everything I expected it to be, and my monthly payments.
I can't believe they're charging you $2300 to ship it. Coming in on magic carpet?