OTA Update GM N22-238206 HVAC Quirk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you guys seeing the google speech message pop in the post I referenced above up as well? I am taking mine in tomorrow to try to get a fresh software install, not OTA update...
I don't have any other issues, just quirky HVAC.

ScottPSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have received the Google speech message and the quirky HVAC issue. Also, had a “service instrument cluster” message pop up (once) and lost my guidance lines today with the front/rear camera. Since I still am not able to get the retrofit for parking sensors it was back to the stone ages for me. A little hour glass icon showed in the center stack display. It lasted for a bit but is back to functional now. HVAC and speech persist.

JGinLA

Reaction score
I have received the Google speech message and the quirky HVAC issue. Also, had a “service instrument cluster” message pop up (once) and lost my guidance lines today with the front/rear camera. Since I still am not able to get the retrofit for parking sensors it was back to the stone ages for me. A little hour glass icon showed in the center stack display. It lasted for a bit but is back to functional now. HVAC and speech persist.
Did you tap the little symbol with the lines under your reverse picture?

ScottPSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you tap the little symbol with the lines under your reverse picture?
Tried all of the icons along the bottom of the display - there were no lines in the reverse or forward direction. Also, when I got in today, the issue was back. Hour glass (blue color) on left side of display and no guidance lines.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called GMC Customer Center last night and reported this HVAC quirk, so they have a case open. I explained that it was posted several times in an online forum and the lady acknowledged it is an issue.

I have noticed mine starts of fast on first startup, then when everything boots up, there is a 1-2s cutout of the audio (this is not new, this cutout has been around since day 1), but that cutout corresponds to the time when the HVAC goes slower. Only fix to get the HVAC back to what I consider Normal operation is to adjust fan w/ the fan speed knob, then hit auto again. Makes no difference if I turn the fan speed knob slower or faster, just have to adjust it out of automatic mode.

Have also noticed the auto cooled seat fan speed seems to be not quite behaving correctly either...but; need more time to properly diagnose these symptoms to see if they correlate.

martinajm

Reaction score
It appears the HVAC fan speed change, "Device Starting" message and audio cutting out are interconnected in some way. Unfortunately no fix ATM but GM is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

Does anyone know how this type of thing will be handled out of warranty? I am at about 35k miles and reported the issue to the dealership, I plan to leave it with them next week, but if there is no fix and I run past 36k am I then on my own? I am certainly not anti tech, but this tech seems to be pretty glitchy for such a large platform.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this type of thing will be handled out of warranty? I am at about 35k miles and reported the issue to the dealership, I plan to leave it with them next week, but if there is no fix and I run past 36k am I then on my own? I am certainly not anti tech, but this tech seems to be pretty glitchy for such a large platform.
I would think if you reported the issue before warranty expired, and the fix is a software update, you would be entitled to the software update after the warranty expires.
I also think that GM may continue to issue OTA updates, but it would be good to get answers to both of these from your dealer.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Architecture (Global B) and new problems. Believe me, I'm not trying to give GM a pass on this, but the Global B architecture is such a leap in technology that the amount of variables can not all be tested during development, so the end user becomes the tester. This isn't just a GM problem. All other OEMs, PC manufacturers, Gaming software companies, etc. are all developing such complex code that the amount of potential bugs is multiple orders of magnitude greater than anything from 5-10 years ago. Certainly GM could have done some more testing and ironed out more of these bugs on the front side, but remember this is a car manufacturer and not a software company. They have a hard enough time recruiting talented software engineers let alone keeping up with the product development cycle the automotive industry demands.

All that said I *think* we should continue to receive OTA updates past the 3/36 warranty. I don't see anything stating otherwise. If you don't want to do OTAs and rather have the dealer install the update, then it is likely they will charge it to warranty and if they can't, then they will charge you for their time.

squark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I called GMC Customer Center last night and reported this HVAC quirk, so they have a case open. I explained that it was posted several times in an online forum and the lady acknowledged it is an issue.

I have noticed mine starts of fast on first startup, then when everything boots up, there is a 1-2s cutout of the audio (this is not new, this cutout has been around since day 1), but that cutout corresponds to the time when the HVAC goes slower. Only fix to get the HVAC back to what I consider Normal operation is to adjust fan w/ the fan speed knob, then hit auto again. Makes no difference if I turn the fan speed knob slower or faster, just have to adjust it out of automatic mode.

Have also noticed the auto cooled seat fan speed seems to be not quite behaving correctly either...but; need more time to properly diagnose these symptoms to see if they correlate.
Can you go into more details on the cooled seat fan? Mine gets louder when I let off the gas or press the brake. I noticed that the alternator voltage jumps up at the same time (from 12v to 14-15v), so I guess the fan speed fluctuates with the voltage. But I wonder why the voltage jumps around so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts